PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Remote keyless entry and exterior lights circuit f

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2004, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Remote keyless entry and exterior lights circuit f

Hello Y'all,

I've got a 2002LE, 54k miles, and I replaced the multi-function switch about 1 1/2 months ago. I won't go into the details as to why I replaced it. Suffice it to say, the problem I experienced is gone. However, I now have a new problem that maybe one of you can help me with. Before I go any further, I haven't added anything aftermarket-wise. My Cruiser is completely stock.

A couple of days ago, I dropped my wife at work and noticed hearing the lock activate, when the car reached 20mph. I had to go to Wal-Mart afterwards, and when I activated the alarm and locked the car, I had noticed the lock button going down. My problem begins here. When I came out of the store, I pressed the key fob to deactivate the alarm, and unlock the doors. I sometimes try to deactivate the system when I'm too far away from the car. I saw that the lights usually associated with activation/deactivation of the system were not responding. My first thought was that the battery suddenly went bad! For the first time since I've owned the car, I actually had to push my key into the driver's door lock! I was relieved when the car started normally! Since it was about three o'clock I didn't need my headlights. Everything else seemed to work. The windows, A/C, turn signals, and stereo all work normally. It wasn't until nearly ten o'clock when I got in the car to go pick up my wife from work, that I discovered to my horror, no headlights! Fortunately, my daughter's boyfriend was visiting, and I talked my daughter into getting her boyfriend to provide his wheels.

I've checked all the fuses related to this circuit, and all are in good condition. I called a dealer to try and get some kind of idea as to how much it may cost to have this repaired. The only thing I could get out of the service manager was that it will cost $80 to have it diagnosed. The $80 will be applied to the cost of the repair, should I decide to have the work done there. One of the thoughts looming in the back of my mind is that I'm going to shell out $80 to have some technician reconnect a loose wire.

I'm relatively certain that the problem goes much further than that. I'm not familiar with how to read schematics or use test equipment. So, even if some of y'all tell me what needs to be fixed, I may still have to take it to a certified technician. If one of y'all has experienced this situation please tell me what I could expect to have replaced, and how much it might cost. A friend mentioned something about a "body module". I've never heard of this part before, and I can't find anything about it in my Haynes manual.

Thanx in advance to any and all who respond.

Mike Risher
Upstate
South Carolina
Old 27 Aug 2004, 05:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Mike welcome,
You may try PTDIY. There is a subscribtion fee but it may be cheaper than a diagnostic fee and then again maybe not. Could be the stalk on the multifunction switch again. Do you know how to rtemove the cover to get to the multifunction switch. check all connections are made up. Try disconnecting your neg battery cable for about 10 minutes then reconnect it try again. These are guesses, others may have better info.

Gonz
Old 27 Aug 2004, 09:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Your fix is in the owners manual. You need to reprogram the door locks not to auto lock and reprogram your remotes ( need all remotes ) If you don't do this first you run the risk of missing something.There maybe nothing wrong other than the reprogram. I've had to reprogram my remotes twice. The remote batteries are suppose to last 3 to 4 years som it might be going dead.
Old 01 Sep 2004, 11:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CruiserDan

i had same problem
um did you change out the headlight bulbs?
i appearently melted wiring harness with my bulbs that are in the mopar catalog the silver stars , the headlights run with the rke circuit its the wire in the harness behind the kick panel u will see it all black and burned check the manual u need to splice it.

Dan

<font color=\"blue\">Patriot Blue</font id=\"blue\"> 02 5-Spd