Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tune Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2004, 05:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tune Up

I have listened to many of you about plugs and wires for the PT and I now own a set of Champion double platinum plugs and Magnicor Wires. With all the talk about plug gaps, should I use 50, 45, or go all the way to 40? Finally, any other tuneup tips? My only mod to date is an Airaid system that I love.
thanks,
Alan
Old 27 Aug 2004, 06:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Please tell me you have a non-turbo PT; those platinum plugs shouldn't be used in the turbo application. If you have a turbo, get copper plugs and gap them to .045 - .040, if you have a non-turbo the platinums are fine but you'll have to wait for a non-turbo owner to come along and recommend a gap for you.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I currently have the non turbo and hope to "step up" in the very near future. How do you like the turbo and does the fact you probalby have your foot in it all the time just demolish the gas mileage?
Old 27 Aug 2004, 09:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Alan,

Lots of talk on spark plug gap. TSB for non-turbo 2003-2004 calls for .040in. Here's a link to check out what going on.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...Terms=plug+gap

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 11:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Alan, I freakin' love the turbo! Yes, gas mileage can be less than wonderful if I keep my right foot planted all the time, but I can still manage almost 25mpg on the freeway. Just an FYI, my car started life as a Limited Edition Platinum Series Turbo Lite (180HP) but I upgraded to Stage 1. I now run 14.8 second 1/4 miles and eat Mustangs for lunch!
[8)]
Old 28 Aug 2004, 01:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys. I will try the .040 and see how it works. I really "need" to get a turbo so I can enjoy the rush of decent acceleration. Is the 180 hp engine the same as the "big" motor in terms of construction and strength of the block and heads?
Old 28 Aug 2004, 04:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Yes it is Alan. It is the same exept for the computer settings. That is why stage 1 results are identical for HO and lite motors!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.