Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
anyone try these bulbs yet? plus a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2004, 12:24 am
Young Cruiser

Default anyone try these bulbs yet? plus a question

i saw on the cruiserbits website they have the sylvania cool blue lights. whats the difference between these and the silverstars? do they last longer then the silverstars?

is it true that silverstars have a very short lifespan and pose a risk to the wiring harness??
Old 28 Aug 2004, 04:30 am
Senior Cruiser

It is not true that the silverstars are dangerous. They use roughly the same watts as standard bulbs so they are OK. Stay away from the 80 to 100 watt bulbs sold on ebay and other unoffical outlets! Or buy those heavy duty socket kits that say they are OK up to 100 watts!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 06:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If you are afraid of possibly frying your existing harness, then buy a heavy duty harness with relays, like this: http://jen.liu.tripod.com/suvlights/id14.html

You don't have to cut or modify your existing harness, just plug them in. The OEM wiring/switches will just act as an on/off switch and your headlights will be powered directly from the battery. The HD harness above includes/powers both the low and high beam.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Any comments on the short lifespan? I'm curious, also.[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Aug 2004, 10:19 am
Cool Cruiser

I have had mine in my 01 for a year & have switched them over to my 04. No problems yet & they were handled twice. I cleaned the bulbs with alcohol & a paper towel before I reinstalled them. made sure no finger prints were on them.

BTW, finger oils on hte bulbs will cause any HID type of bulb to burn out faster. It causes a hot spot on the bulb. So make sure you don't handle the glass part. I know its hard not too when trying to reach into that access panel.

Also it's not a good idea to scratch the galss or the caoting on the end of the bulb. Basicly I'm saying take care while installing these & they should last quite awhile.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 02:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

I used rubber gloves on my install no problems, they sell them at most auto parts stores.

flames&stripes by \"gator\" 2003 milan dragway \"chrysler classic\" winner
Old 30 Aug 2004, 01:41 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GR8FLPT

I have had mine in my 01 for a year & have switched them over to my 04. No problems yet & they were handled twice. I cleaned the bulbs with alcohol & a paper towel before I reinstalled them. made sure no finger prints were on them.
how often do you use your lights though?