Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Speedometer is off by 2 mph.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2004, 01:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Speedometer is off by 2 mph.

Help please. Stock tires, and everything else. Tires are inflated to 35 psi. At any speed between 20 mph and 90 mph the speedometer reads 2 mph faster than I'm actually going. I have checked it with GPS, radar "your speed is" signs, and by measuring with the mileposts at constant speed. Dealership says everything is as it should be. Part of the puzzle is that the error is consistently the same at all speeds.

If the speedlimit is 65 mph, then I want to be going 65.4999 mph. I'm nervous having to always guess on half way between the tick marks.

Thanks for any suggestions
Knucklehead
Old 29 Aug 2004, 08:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Frankly *I* wouldn't be concerned about 2mph... [:I]
99% of cars are probably a mile or two (or more) off from actual speed.

But if you're determined, then it's time to have the speedometer calibrated. If you're around a large city there probably a shop near that can do it, or search Google on "speedometer calibration".
Old 29 Aug 2004, 09:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Hi All:

I have noticed the same thing with my 2003. I have also checked it with my GPS unit. I'm wondering if the odometer is linked to this and if it is it probably will get us to 70,000 warranty quicker then it is supposed to. That might be one up for DC. [xx(]

Neil
Old 29 Aug 2004, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Simple suggestion - open up the instrument cluster, bend the speedometer needle a tad.
99% of the time police grant at least 5 MPH over speed limit before thay bother you.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Aug 2004, 06:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i have over size tires 205-65-15 can you tell me how far off my speedometer is thank you.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 06:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

That is well within the tolerance for error and I would be happy if all my cars are within 2 mph at all measured speeds. Buy another tire and see if you get more or less accurate. You do know that different tires of the same size have slightly different diameters??
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 03:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Guess I'm not very tolerant. I do know that different tires have different diameters and circumferences (after deflection) I greatly prefer Michelin tires and the Pilot Sport A/S will get me 1.01 MPH closer to accuracy.
I will be putting Michelins on in about 25K miles when I wear out the Good4ayear tires. That will be sometime early next summer. Not driving the PT full time.

Jacked Up PT: With out knowing the brand and model of the tire it is difficult to give an accurate answer. For illustration: if you have Bridgestone Potenza's in that size; Assuming your speedometer was accurate before the tire change; You are going 46.1 when the speedo says 45. You are going 56.4 when the speedo says 55. And you are going 66.6 when the speedo says 65. At 75 indicated you will be doing 76. In theory, any way. If you only go in a straight line. Cornering, weight of car, and tire pressure will change the deflection of the tread and change the actual distance traveled per revolution of the tire.

OH well. Guess I'll just have to live with it until I tear apart the dash and bend the needle.
Thanks to all
Knucklehead

Old 30 Aug 2004, 01:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

You have to take in account of margin of error/standard deviations. I see 3 factors playing into the 2mph error.

1. Speedometer has its own margin of error.
2. GPS system has its own margin of error (although not by much).
3. You have a set new tires with differnt ratios (I'm not sure what PT model you have).

Of course, 1+2+3 factors don't = 6. There is complicated formulas to calculate those margin of errors, and I'm not a mathmatics wiz (I forgot how to do it).

Bottom line, you might be well within the normal operations of your vehicle. Just don't go fast in front of a cop [].
Old 30 Aug 2004, 04:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

There should be no difference from one tire to another of the same size from different brands.

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html
Old 30 Aug 2004, 10:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

Thats it, just 2mph? I can't beleive you're that hung up on it. I've driven a car without a Speedometer before, just keep up with the traffic.