PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cleaning oil in the airbox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2004, 08:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default Cleaning oil in the airbox

Since the PT's are designed in a way that a little more oil collects in the airbox, should I make it a habit of cleaning the oil that collects there once in awhile? If so, how often? Should I just wipe off the excess oil or use some kind of cleaner to make sure there is no oil residue in the airbox? Or will DC take care of this during the oil changes?

I don't want any dirt collecting on the oil, which is why I asked if I should clean it. I also remember reading on a few threads regarding a mod to put some kind of oil collecter. Does anyone have instructions on doing so? Is it difficult? I'm not a mechanic, nor do I know alot of about cars. But I'm somewhat intelligent (I think) that I can figure things out by a good set of instructions & diagrams. Keep in mind, not knowing much about cars, I'm not well versed in all the mech talk, so if you're going to talk about parts, make sure you describe it really well

Thanks all!
Old 06 Sep 2004, 12:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about the oil in the bottom of the air box. Whether you just wipe it up or use some Simple Green/Orange Blast to help get it really clean is up to you.

The oil collector you're thinking of is generically referred to as a catch can. You could mount one between the fitting on the cylinder head and the airbox, but you really don't need to. By the way, that particular fitting is primarily an air makeup port. For the most part air is actually flowing INTO the engine at that point to help stabilize internal pressure. When our turbo cars are under boost the air, and some oil vapor, is blown OUT of this fitting which is why we see oil in the airbox.

There is another fitting on the passenger side of the head which feeds into the intake manifold. This is the primary part of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. Much more oil is blown out this line directly into the intake manifold (well after the turbo and intercooler), so it makes sense to put a catch can into this line. By the way, it seems the oily buildup or staining that is common to the front of the intake runners is due to this oil getting in and basically getting wicked by the gasket to the front of the engine.

What a catch can basically does is to introduce a volume of air into the line which will cause the vaporized oil to precipitate and collect in the can. You'll need to empty the can periodically, but you won't be burning that oil, or having it seep through to the front of your intake manifold causing that ugly stain.
Old 07 Sep 2004, 08:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Pretty sure I saw Pics RallyDRock posted with a catch can. Mike covered it all.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Sep 2004, 10:04 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I remove the oil residue from the stock airbox about every 3000 miles, or at least, at each oil change (5000 miles with Mobil 1).
Old 11 Sep 2004, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was having the same problem. I put in two catch cans and it was an eye opener to see how much oil was being collected. About 1 tsp per oil change at air box and 2 to 2.5 at valve cover. Using Mobil 1 @ 5k.

Red [8)]