Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Volant Intake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2004, 12:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Volant Intake

Can the Volant Cold Air Intake fit on an '03 NA Cruiser? It states it is for an '01-'02. Did Chrysler change something between the '02 and '03 NA stock intakes?[:I]
Old 08 Sep 2004, 01:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Should fit an '03 NA without any problems.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 08 Sep 2004, 02:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Where did you find the volant intake?
Old 08 Sep 2004, 02:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Saw it on Volant's website(volantperformance.com). Emailed thier tech department about fit and here's there reply, "We need to do a check fit on the 2003 PT cuiser should have one come in the next three weeks".
Old 08 Sep 2004, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had the Volant system on my 2001. It worked well. Sealed all the way round, including the top when the hood was lowered and drew cool air from the hole in the wheel well.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Sep 2004, 12:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Would you say it works as good, better, or worse than K&N FIPK?
Old 08 Sep 2004, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

Would you say it works as good, better, or worse than K&N FIPK?
If your talking to me.....I would think it works better but I have no facts to back it up. The FIPK has a shield to try and stop the hot air from the filter, but the Volant and the Air Raid both have the filter in a box that seals out the hot air and both draw the cooler air from the hole in the wheel well.

Now, personally, I went for looks with a chrome and red package called The Intimadator. It certainly draws in warm air as there is no shield at all between the filter and engine. I haven't noticed one bit of difference in performance between the two filters except my chrome one is louder during full-on acceleration because the rush of air is not silenced by any shield. Did I lose .01 in the quater mile? Who cares. [:I]

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Sep 2004, 04:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gotcha. I really want the biggest loudest bang for the buck. If the Volant silences out the sound, not so good... if I can't get much performance, I want to be able to sound like I've got some power.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 09:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Having been an owner of a Volant intake for my 2002 Touring Edition, it is not a direct bolt-on for the 2003+ models.

There are 2 modifications you will need to make, depending on your preferences:

In the 2001 and early 2002 PTs, the breather line empties into the rubber intake hose (the accordion hose) before the throttle body via a hard black pipe. In mid-2002 and + PTs, the breather line empties into the airbox. The Volant intake has two holes (air inlet temp sensor and breather) in the hard, funnel-shaped pipe that is supplied. You can either plug the breather hole in the Volant pipe and use a breather filter or use a catch can and run the breather line to the supplied hole in the Volant intake pipe. The catch can is needed to prevent oil from gumming up the throttle body. The catch can can be as simple as using a small water separator for air compressor pipes (~ $10 from Wal-Mart or AutoZone). The catch can idea is similar to that used for the turbo PTs and the PCV/intake manifold issue.

If you have any questions, feel free to post here.

Scott
Old 10 Sep 2004, 11:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

What do you mean by breather filter? What would that require? Did the volant work well for you? Loud? Dynoed?