PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dual Exhaust with Hitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2004, 02:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default Dual Exhaust with Hitch

I am planning to install a Dual exhaust system like the Borla 2.25" Dual Exhaust System or BTG™ Cat/Back Dual Exhaust System along with a Hidden Hitch Reciever Hitch. I was wondering if anyone has or had a similar combination. If so, did you have any problems with either the hitch or exhaust installation? Any problems accessing the spare tire? Can you post a pic of how the back looks and also a pic of underneath?

Thanks
Old 15 Sep 2004, 09:35 am
Dedicated Cruiser

as long as you still have your stock bumber you should be ok, I would go to a hitch shop first and get some ideas. I'm screwed since I have a roll pan, and dual exhaust. Two guys told me it ain't going to happen, unless I remove the spare tire.
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 15 Sep 2004, 11:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by turbomangt

I would go to a hitch shop first and get some ideas...
What do you mean? Ideas of the installation or types of hitches?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 16 Sep 2004, 08:43 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Both, I would get some ideas from people who install for a living. More ideas, more options. I saw that hidden hitch from PTzser, I think that's to much money for just the parts ($499) although when you customize your car like we did, we pay more to make changes.
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 16 Sep 2004, 05:17 pm
Young Cruiser

I had Borla 2.5" duals and a Hidden Hitch on my 2002 Dream Cruiser. Everything went in OK, but the installer said, "Uh, you didn't want to be able to get to your spare tire, did ya?" The Hidden Hitch receiver combined with the dual exhaust pipes really eats up the spare room and makes it almost impossible to get to the tire.

I now have the OEM Mopar hitch on my 2004 Turbo Dream Cruiser and it's much simpler! It installs easily and fits right up inside the bumper trim making it more "hidden" than the Hidden Hitch ever was. It also tucks the receiver in closer so my luggage rack actually follows the body line like it was supposed to. The whole installation looks a lot better, and there's still plenty of room for dual exhausts and the spare tire.

The wiring harness for the OEM hitch is also a lot better because it deals with Chrysler's rather unique 3-wire system, which drove the installer crazy with the Hidden Hitch. But beware, the Mopar wiring harness can set you back almost as much as the receiver hitch itself. But, to me it was worth it.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/578198
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/DreamWeaver/
Old 17 Sep 2004, 09:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Tom, I'm assuming you have the Borla 2.5" dual exhaust still with the Mopar hitch? Is the Mopar wiring harness running from the inside of the car? Did you do the wiring harness yourself?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:37 am
Young Cruiser

Yes Eddie, I have the 2.5" Borlas now with the Turbo, planning to add the MaxxFab downpipe, too. I haven't installed the OEM hitch wiring harness yet, but yes, it does run inside the car. It has plugs that connect it to the existing wiring harness for the lights and then run all the way down the passenger side under the carpet up to a connection box under the dash. It gives full functionality to all your lights, signals, and flashers. Instructions look pretty straightforward, but I'm definately going to get some assistance form a couple of mechanic buddies to install it.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/578198
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/DreamWeaver/
Old 10 Oct 2004, 04:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks Tom. I went with the Borlas and Mopar hitch. You are right, PERFECT FIT. I have access to my spare, which was my main concern.