PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Headers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2004, 11:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade
Default Headers

I am thinking about headers, but I want to know how much the install would cost. About how much do you guys think?
Old 30 Sep 2004, 02:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Installing headers, hmm. First off, you're probably looking at somewhere between $100-200 install. Second, I've heard that headers will increase your low-end horsepower and torque, but lowers both at the upper powerband. When you take off from that stop light, you're going to feel a little extra uuumph, but when you get the revs high, you won't be moving as fast as you were before. A good header is going to cost you between $150-250. You're looking at roughly $300 total on the cheaper side. Why not spend a big more than $200, and get yourself an intake. You'll be gaining horsepower and torque throughout the powerband, save money, install it yourself, and you won't have to worry about leaks from the headers.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 08:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with ChromedCruiser. I thought about a header, but those who have them say benefits are slight, and there's grief if you don't put heatshield back on, they should be checked and re-tightened, more grief than it's worth, IMHO.
Get a K&N FIPK, and a flow-thru muffler.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Sep 2004, 06:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You definately need to modify and reinstall the heat shield or you risk burning up or melting whatever wires that are closeby, plus burning up/blacken the firewall paint. Seen both happen often ehough. If you are planning on buying a header for your PT, look at JBA, Edelbrock, or Borla and avoid Hedman (poor welding, cheap tubing used, and warped brackets/header flange).

Many people are happy with their aftermarket header, while others don't feel the cost equals the performance gains. So it's up to you whether to make the purchase or not.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 06:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

Installing headers, hmm. First off, you're probably looking at somewhere between $100-200 install. Second, I've heard that headers will increase your low-end horsepower and torque, but lowers both at the upper powerband. When you take off from that stop light, you're going to feel a little extra uuumph, but when you get the revs high, you won't be moving as fast as you were before.
May be different with a PT, but as a rule a freer flowing head pipe will increase top end performance. The more effeciently you can get the exhaust gases out the better your car can breath, making topend performance better. Conversely, less back pressure in the exhaust from a better head pipe can cause a loss of bottom end torque as the powerband now is higher in the RPM range.

'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 Sep 2004, 07:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

Installing headers, hmm. First off, you're probably looking at somewhere between $100-200 install. Second, I've heard that headers will increase your low-end horsepower and torque, but lowers both at the upper powerband. When you take off from that stop light, you're going to feel a little extra uuumph, but when you get the revs high, you won't be moving as fast as you were before.
May be different with a PT, but as a rule a freer flowing head pipe will increase top end performance. The more effeciently you can get the exhaust gases out the better your car can breath, making topend performance better. Conversely, less back pressure in the exhaust from a better head pipe can cause a loss of bottom end torque as the powerband now is higher in the RPM range.

Also, if you don't have a freer flowing exhaaust system, installing a header will probably not do anything anyhow. I would suggest doing the exhaust system and other minor addons first if you are looking to spend $$$ on the PT.

'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

I am getting headers because the only thing im interested in for christmas is car parts, and ive already got the k&n fipk covered. An air bag suspension was the firt to come to mind, but that idea was rejected by my father, the owner of the car. I then compromised for headers. I also already have a muffler. What would be a good alternative?
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK, then forget headers all together. I've done a good bit of investigating already, and a lot of people on here that have headers have gotten a little more low-end power, and lost high-end. You will face problems in the future as well. Leaks are a big problem. Just as quicksilverdon said, if you don't properly replace the heat shield, you're looking at problems with over heating the engine bay, and s%$# will hit the fan, and it's going to be real expensive. Look at new springs, shocks, sway bars, and maybe some new rotors and pads. you might be saying to yourself, "Awe man, brake pads and rotors, no big deal." With suspension and brake upgrades, you're going to go faster. Not every road is perfectly straight, and not all highways are made to simulate drag strips. Being able to come into a turn faster, having the ability to wait off braking a little longer, and then being able to push through the end of the turn is going to make a big difference. It's not all about increasing horsepower. To me, and several other people on here, being able to drive fast on winding roads is a lot more fun then on a strip. It's your PT, and your decision, but you can do a lot more harm than good if you go for a headers.
Old 01 Oct 2004, 12:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TaylorMade

I am getting headers because the only thing im interested in for christmas is car parts, and ive already got the k&n fipk covered. An air bag suspension was the firt to come to mind, but that idea was rejected by my father, the owner of the car. I then compromised for headers. I also already have a muffler. What would be a good alternative?
If you haven't done it already, I would suggest installing a tower strut bar and aftermarket anti-sway bars. The ride will be the same, but you will get vastly improved cornering and tighter steering response. The anti-sway bars should run about $300 for a F/R set and about $70-150 for the tower strut bar. You can install either yourself.
Old 01 Oct 2004, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sci-Fi makes a good point (as usual). More "oomph" is always desirable but straight line isn't much fun and doesn't last too long before there's a turn. I'd also add rear lowering springs as something you can do yourself that will also improve handling (and looks) - the fronts I wouldn't tackle without experience and the right tools - not to mention that the fornt is already low.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles