PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Greddy Catch Can

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default Greddy Catch Can

From my previous post, I have decided to go with a Greddy Catch Can. Although very pricey compared to the $20 Catch can. The reason I am going with the Greddy is that it looks dressier, since I'm planning to dress up the engine bay as well.

Looking at this site, they have 2 different types of cans with different fittings. I was wondering which one (9mm or 15mm) should I buy to use with my '04 PT GT? Does the Greddy Catch can come with sufficient length of hose(s) or should I purchase additional hoses? If so, what size, assuming the hoses come in different sizes. I'm assuming the universal bracket is a mounting bracket, so I guess I should purchase it? Does the Greddy come with brass fittings & other necessary connections or do I have to purchase those as well? What else would I need?
Old 30 Sep 2004, 01:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

From my previous post, I have decided to go with a Greddy Catch Can. Although very pricey compared to the $20 Catch can. The reason I am going with the Greddy is that it looks dressier, since I'm planning to dress up the engine bay as well.

Looking at this site, they have 2 different types of cans with different fittings. I was wondering which one (9mm or 15mm) should I buy to use with my '04 PT GT? Does the Greddy Catch can come with sufficient length of hose(s) or should I purchase additional hoses? If so, what size, assuming the hoses come in different sizes. I'm assuming the universal bracket is a mounting bracket, so I guess I should purchase it? Does the Greddy come with brass fittings & other necessary connections or do I have to purchase those as well? What else would I need?
Wish I could answer your questions but I just have more. Where are you going to mount it? How do you empty it? Do you have to un-mount it every time to empty?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 Sep 2004, 03:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

No prob, but at least I can help you out since I brought up a similar question on other threads.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer
Where are you going to mount it?
Anywhere you can. As you can see from the other post that Mike-in-Orange mounted where his stock airbox used to be. I guess just make sure it or the hoses aren't touching any hot surfaces, like the intake manifold.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer
How do you empty it? Do you have to un-mount it every time to empty?
You have to unmount it to disconnect it. But I believe the hoses would still stay connected. If you look at the link for the $20 catch can above, the person mounted on the air conditioning line using zip ties.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 30 Sep 2004, 08:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

My GReddy catch can is the 9mm version. I have the lines from the engine to the can and back to the intake manifold routed behind the intake just above the heat shield and there are no signs of any heat related issues thus far. I'll see about taking a couple of pictures over the weekend to show exactly where. The line that came with the can is not long enough to mount the can where I did and route to/from the locations I'm tapped into. Plus that line is clear with white reinforcing, which looks OK but doesn't fit the rest of the lines in my engine bay so I wouldn't have used it anyway. When you select the line for this application make sure to pick up some fuel line, NOT the basic silicone line that used for most vacuum applications. Silicone will degrade rapidly if subjected to prolonged oil contact, which this line will be.
Old 01 Oct 2004, 12:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

To empty my Greddy catch can I just remove one of the hoses, unscrew the fitting and using a turkey baster with a length of hose on the end of it and stick it all the way down to the bottom and suck the oil out. I got tired of removing the catch can to empty it.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 01 Oct 2004, 01:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Hey Mean Green, that's a great idea....wish I'd thought of it!
Old 01 Oct 2004, 02:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

There really isn't room for the Greddy if you keep your stock aribox. I have one and have not found an area deep enough to place it.
BTW, I have the superlight one and it is big enough not to fit ANYWHERE.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 01 Oct 2004, 02:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

From the looks of the Greddy, it is rather big. I've read through several posts regarding the catch cans and maybe the $20 solution will work best for me. It just won't look as pretty as the Greddy Catch can. I'll be using an Airade CAI, so I will not have room in the air box area to place for the Greddy, like what Mike-In-Orange did here...

With the $20 Catch can, it maybe small enough that I can tuck it in a little nicer. Mean Green, where did you mount your Greddy Catch can?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 01 Oct 2004, 03:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

You can see it right behind the air filter with the two hoses coming out of it. As you can see I'm using the AMX intake and not the stock air box as it won't fit with the Greddy catch can. Now I know of one guy who mounted his Greddy catch can on the firewall on the passenger side by the radiator overflow resevoir. He mounted a bracket on the firewall and attached it there. You can remove the driver side black cowl and be able to bolt the bracket to the firewall from inside there.....The problem I had with the $20 catch can on my turbo was the fact I had to empty it once a week and that was a pain. I empty the Greddy every 2-3 months.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 01 Oct 2004, 12:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you're keeping the stock airbox setup I would highly recommend the $20 Catch Can setup. Any place where you'd have to mount the GReddy otherwise would, in my opinion, make access for draining the thing a real bugger. That $20 cc is a pretty slick setup.