PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ODBII Scanners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2004, 12:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default ODBII Scanners

Anyone using any? How about the software? AutoTap appears rather nice, but a bit expensive. DigiMoto looks more about my budget. The thing I really like is the Dyno & Track info you can get out of both. Although, the DigiMoto site shows a nice demo of a sample test Track/Dyno run. I can't find any similar demos on AutoTap for Dyno/Track run, but the site does show it is possible. I can't even find it on their online manual.
Old 03 Oct 2004, 01:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

dont waste your money. just by turning the ignition on off on off on the trouble codes will be displayed in the odometer area. P1684 means everything is ok and is a system readiness code (some may say it is a battery disconnected code but it is not)
Old 03 Oct 2004, 03:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I don't really care about viewing clearning the trouble codes. It's just the Track & Dyno feature I like. When you use DigiMoto for the Track logging, it starts to log the time (seconds), logs the time (seconds) when you hit 60 mph, logs the time and speed when you hit the 1/8 mile mark, and logs the time and speed when you hit the 1/4 mile mark. If I could only find software that just these two alone, it would be great! This saves me the time of going to the track. I would also be able to post my 1/4 runs with each new mod. I could also practice on improving my launches for the day I go to the track and run against someone else.

You can view the demo of the DigiMoto Track logging here. You can see more demos here.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 03 Oct 2004, 10:38 pm
Young Cruiser

The digimoto packages are also available on Ebay for somewhat less than the website. It's cheap and straigh-forward looking.
Old 04 Oct 2004, 01:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

oh i didnt see your links in the first post so i wasnt sure exactly what you were talking about, those are neat. i have the gtech pro which is about 1/2 the size of a radar detector and suction cups itself to the windshield. its kinda a pain to use. if i had a laptop already then i would go with one of those systems. good luck ed[?]
Old 04 Oct 2004, 05:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Derek, I was thinking of he GTech Pro, what don't you like about it?
John
Old 11 Oct 2004, 05:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I've tried the DigiMoto so far, so good. As I said, the main reason is for the 1/4 & Dyno Run feature, all the other's is just a plus. The only feature I cannot use is the trouble codes. I believe the software reads 2 digit software codes, and since PT's have the 4 digit, starting with a P, it doesn't know what they are. Anyway, I already did a could of runs with the car. I just need to work on my launches. I may get the PocketPC version as well, since it's hard to keep the laptop in the car. It's especially bad at night when you have this thing glowing inside the car. Cops may think that I have some kind of neon kit inside or maybe watching TV or a movie and may ticket me for being distracted.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 14 Oct 2004, 04:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I may return the software and try out AutoTap. The thing I like about this is that gauges you can configure so it looks like a car guage. Anyway, I'll post my findings once I get them. I have 30 days to return the DigiMoto software at least.

The other big plus about AutoTap is that it can be used for whatever vehicle protocol (ISO, VPW, PWM). Unlike DigiMoto, you need to buy the hardware for the type of vehicle. Although DigiMoto is alot cheaper ($119 USD) initially, it only includes one protocol. If you want to be able to read all types of vehicles, you can buy all 3 protocols for $254 USD. While the Autotap has the ability to scan all types of vehicles for only $199.95 USD.

Anyway, I'll post my finding for those interested.

Old 15 Oct 2004, 09:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just got the AutoTap software in today. Out of the box, you can't really play with it. You have to configure what you want to read & how you want it displayed (gauge type, digital readout, graph, table, etc.). I think this would be cool to have if I hooked up a computer with an LCD monitor to my car. It's like having another set of digital gauges. You can set a little alarm everytime the RPM's reaches your shift sweet spot, so instead of looking at the tach, you can concentrate on the road a little more. Of course, for those who shift by sound, don't need this feature.

Also, there appears to be no dyno or Track feature, like the DigiMoto. You can log your results during a dyno or 1/4 track run, but the software does not actually calculate this for you.

Autotap Pros:
- Nice and easy to read gauges.

Autotap Cons:
- Can't play immediately out of the box
- No sample configs to use.

DigiMoto Pros:
- Nice 1/4 mile track and dyno run feature
- Can be used in less than 5 minutes out of the box

DigiMoto Cos:
- Tables are hard to read
- Cannot use another feature when one is being used. For example, while doing a 1/4 track run, you cannot check/log your "Air intake temps" during the run.

If I had the money, I would keep both, but for my purpose, I will probably stay with DigiMoto. Too bad Autotap didn't have the dyno or track run feature OR that DigiMoto didn't have easy to view guages. Also too bad I can't hook up both the DigiMoto and Autotap so I can use both features.