Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How LOW can I go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2001, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How LOW can I go?

My PT already has the Zenon front air dam etc. I want to install an aftermarket suspension package along with lowering springs. Am I going to have to worry about ground clearance in the front? I really don't want to tear things up. Does anyone have experience or suggestions concerning this topic?

Old 28 Oct 2001, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Rick, of course you're going to have ground clearance problems! There will be places you just can't go, without scraping the ground.
Also keep in mind that lowering your car will void certain parts of your warranty.

Cruisin' with the Queen since 11/09/00
Old 28 Oct 2001, 01:22 pm
Young Cruiser

It's been done before, combining the airdam and springs kit...but mostly on show cars, not on daily drivers.

Do you drive daily? Might wanna to reconsider this combo if you do.

Old 28 Oct 2001, 11:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's not a daily driver. I just show it at cruises etc., but I don't trailer it. I guess I better give it some serious thought. Thanks for the reply

Old 29 Oct 2001, 12:44 am
Administrator

There are some cruisers in our PT of the Week archives that have the airdam & lowering springs. Here's a couple:

Jack's: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/arc/20.html

Don's: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/arc/15.html

--
jody
Old 01 Nov 2001, 06:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

you can go as low as you feel comfortable to drive it!... I recently sold my s-10 that had about 2 inches of clearence under the engines crossmember with out a adjustable suspension. as it was my only car it was most deffinatly a daily driver. Thier were very fey places i could not go. You learn a new way to drive... for instance on the highway i had to stradle whare the tires run rather than center in the lane. but i am one that beleves thier is no such thing as too low! So I say go as low as yo want.

2001 Touring
Old 03 Nov 2001, 03:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My PT sits as it came from the factory and I have the complete Xenon Bruiser kit installed, I have to approach dips and certain merges at an angle and go slow. In my opinion it would be too low. How is the ride? I have a lowered `95 Mustang, and if someone sits in the back seat, the car will hit the rear bump-stops on even a small bump and don`t even think of going through any kind of dip faster than a crawl. Keep it functionable, it looks low and "phat" enough on its on!!

`01 Silver 28G, Xenon Bruiser kit, Flowmaster American Thunder, K&N
Old 09 Nov 2001, 06:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

The given "aceptable norm" so a car does not look like it has been lifted is to hace no more gap in the wheel well than the side wall if the tire. i.e. 6 inch tire 6 indh gap 1 1/2 inch tire 1 1/2 inch gap. You also cant have both a good low look and enough ground clearence to go four wheeling. If you want low then do it but dont fret over it later. Its like a tattoo if you have any reservetions about it then dont do it! If not then go all the way!

2001 Touring
Old 09 Nov 2001, 02:50 pm
Young Cruiser

I lowered my 2001 PT Touring Edition with Eibach's progressive springs, and have been thrilled by the results. It handles great with very little body lean in corners, and still rides as good as it did with the factory springs..if not just slightly stiffer..which is fine with me. The springs lowered it an inch and three quarters in the front and two inches in the back. It took out that infamous Chrysler "butt-in the air" attitude that they seem to have on every car they make. It's still slightly higher in back, but nothing like it was. The wheel-well gap is excessive on PT's..they look sooooo much better lowered. I agree, you learn to adjust your driving habits to it being that way. I'm not even worried about the snow this winter..it still has plenty of clearance.