PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AIRBOX INLET QUESTION

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2004, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AIRBOX INLET QUESTION

At the bottom of the airbox, should the plastic air inlet tube
be snapped in to the fender hole or does it float above it?
Old 07 Oct 2004, 04:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I thought it plugs in - if it were to just float, why have a hose?[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Oct 2004, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The nozzle is round and smooth..so it can't snap or plug in. It just sits in the hole nicely as you sit the bottom box down into the grommets and sort of form fits into the hole in the fender well.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 05:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

If you look at the following photo...

The plastic inlet piece your referring to (d and e are actually the same piece), just floats above the fender wall.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 19 Oct 2004, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did something a little different. I cut the part "d" off with a hacksaw, and installed the BTG intake (similar to AIRAID). I figure this would increase flow by making the path straighter. My next step is to replace the down pipe from the intake to the turbo to completely maximize available air for the turbo. I have been looking into ways to do this mod myself since the amx version is fairly expensive for a pipe with a hole in it. Any ideas?

A pic from delivery day in 2003! Many mods since and many to come.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 12:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

A suggestion:
To increase volume increase fender pipe. See pic.

Old 20 Oct 2004, 04:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by okieGT

I did something a little different. I cut the part "d" off with a hacksaw, and installed the BTG intake (similar to AIRAID). I figure this would increase flow by making the path straighter. My next step is to replace the down pipe from the intake to the turbo to completely maximize available air for the turbo. I have been looking into ways to do this mod myself since the amx version is fairly expensive for a pipe with a hole in it. Any ideas?
Here's mine...
I ordered the silicone 90 degree 3" to 2.5" reducer from a place up in Napa called Britts. I wanted to use silicone for this one as it will stand up to the heat of the turbo charger better than rubber where it attaches to the turbo. I can't remember exactly what I paid, about $55 I think, maybe a little more with shipping.

Actually the 2.5 slipped right onto the turbo housing but if you wanted a "snugger" fit you might want to try the 3" to 2.375" unit. Now these are really tough and not expandable so if that one is too small don't blame me, I am just thinking out loud.

BRITS
28921 ARNOLD DR F-6
SONOMA
CA 95476
USA

tel: +1 707 935 3637
fax: +1 707 935 0942
samco@britsinc.com
http://www.sporthoses.com

Forgemotorsprot sells Samco also but I didn't call them http://www.forgemotorsport.com/silic....asp?cat=samco

I bought the 3" aluminum tubing from a place in Costa Mesa, CA, here is the site http://www.burnsstainless.com/Alumin...minumtube.html
you only need about 5 inches. Less than $10. I got it there because is was local to me but I am sure most aluminum pipe supplies could source this.

I bought the rubber 45 degree elbow from here: http://www.customconversion.com/AirDucts_Order.html
it is a Jag conversion site but it was the first place I found what I wanted. It was like $12 but there was a $5 charge because I didn't order more stuff. Someone can probably find it somewhere else with a little more effort.

Then it's just clamps and a drill to make a small hole in the Silicone elbow to put the plastic "L" into from the stock pipe, get all the angles in the right direction and clamp it down.

Easy to do.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come