PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do ignition coils burn out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2004, 05:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default Do ignition coils burn out?

Do ignition coils burn out or lose performance after X amount of miles? I'm trying to get the best performance out of my car and read a few threads about people using Screaming Demon ingition coils and either Champion or Iridium plugs with performance wires. Since they're rather cheap mod, I'm wondering if I should go for it now or wait until I have X amount of miles.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Coils should last a lifetime. From what I've read, the Screamin Deamon puts out 40,000 volts whereas the OEM coil is already putting out 36K. You'd be better off keeping the wires and plugs in tip top shape than changing coils. Others may have a different opinion.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Oct 2004, 07:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Coils should last a lifetime. From what I've read, the Screamin Deamon puts out 40,000 volts whereas the OEM coil is already putting out 36K. You'd be better off keeping the wires and plugs in tip top shape than changing coils. Others may have a different opinion.
CREWZIN, you got my vote. The stock coil is more than adequate. Good wires and factory copper plus plugs in good shape work the best. Forget about the Iridium plugs. Talk about Mickey Mouse and jury rig garbage. You will never feel a difference with those makeshift plugs and you'll just be asking for problems if you lose that "special" socket and stripping out something.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 Oct 2004, 08:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with the others. Since you have a turbo, coppper is best, per MX-5. I would go with better wires - Magnecore or Crane, because they last longer than stock ones, but save on the coil.
I also agree to stay away from plugs not designed for the PT.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Oct 2004, 09:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Yeah, I've read MX-5's views on the plugs on several other forums. I've also read there is a new set of iridium plugs that fit the PT. The thing that is making side with iridium plugs is someone has actually used both champion and iridium. The said the following from another forum...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Topless in Cali
follow up to my last post actual plug controversy with the Denso's I saw no difference in the top of the plug where your plug wire attaches nor did I see any visible difference in the top length of the Denso's v.s. the Champs the only difference is material on the tip and the depth at which each sits in the cylinder head the Champs sitting 3/16" deeper

footnote on that- I just went and looked at the Champion plugs I pulled out and the 3/16" of threads on the plug that sit in the cylinder head where totally burnt meaning the Denso plugs sit with their tip in the cylinder head not in the threaded tube that the plug screws into so the plugs are the correct length by contrast the champions actually are 3/16" closer to the top of your cylinders now just what harm or good that does I can't say I would ask an expert on intrenal engine components of this 2.4 that question

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 11 Oct 2004, 11:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Most of the SRT-4 peeps I hang around with still uses their stock ignition coils, not much difference came from changing it.

I recently changed out my ignition wires to mopar performance wires 7.5mm (stratus/neon) and tossed in a new set of stock plugs gapped at 0.044. The throttle response was slightly improved, but probably something you won't die without.

My old ignition wires and spark plugs after 11,200 miles of daily driving and some runs to track were still in good condition. The ignition wires appeared to be in good condition and the plugs didn't seem to widen (still about 0.050).
Old 12 Oct 2004, 03:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:

Coils should last a lifetime.
Sadly, they don't.
Heat and Vibration takes its toll.

As they burn out, they get weaker, you will start to get an occasional misfire at high rev/high load.

Sometimes they appear to be fine until one day the engine just stops.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 12 Oct 2004, 04:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

Yeah, I've read MX-5's views on the plugs on several other forums. I've also read there is a new set of iridium plugs that fit the PT. The thing that is making side with iridium plugs is someone has actually used both champion and iridium. The said the following from another forum...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Topless in Cali
follow up to my last post actual plug controversy with the Denso's I saw no difference in the top of the plug where your plug wire attaches nor did I see any visible difference in the top length of the Denso's v.s. the Champs the only difference is material on the tip and the depth at which each sits in the cylinder head the Champs sitting 3/16" deeper

footnote on that- I just went and looked at the Champion plugs I pulled out and the 3/16" of threads on the plug that sit in the cylinder head where totally burnt meaning the Denso plugs sit with their tip in the cylinder head not in the threaded tube that the plug screws into so the plugs are the correct length by contrast the champions actually are 3/16" closer to the top of your cylinders now just what harm or good that does I can't say I would ask an expert on intrenal engine components of this 2.4 that question
This quote bothers me and frankly scares me a little. He says the Champions sit in more by 3/16" and that they were burnt meaning they could burn the top of the cylinders. That is a little confusing and yet distrubing. I put in Champion double plats when I did my wires and plugs at 20000. The ones I pulled out were champion craps, all burnt. The stock plugs were crap in my PT.

I would like to know, in plain english which one was better in the test. I heard the Denso's didn't fit right and one owner had one pop out of the screw threads.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fritz_t_coyote

Quote:

Coils should last a lifetime.
Sadly, they don't.
Heat and Vibration takes its toll.
Fritz...yea your right, BUT, lifetimes are different. I've got the stock coil on my Vette with 131,000 miles...runs like a scaled dog! [] That's more than a lifetime for most cars/owners.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 03:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT_Boy

I recently changed out my ignition wires to mopar performance wires 7.5mm (stratus/neon) and tossed in a new set of stock plugs gapped at 0.044.
I didn't know Mopar made a higher performance ignition wires for the PT. Do you know the part number?