PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Any problems from "Lighting up the tires"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2004, 10:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default Any problems from "Lighting up the tires"?

Aside from wearing down the tires, I was wondering if there are problems that could be caused from just "Burning Rubber"? This is assumed just doing WOT and not doing a brake torque, since I understand Brake Torqueing with FWDs can be damaging.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'll probably get burned for this one. Assuming you mean to "light up" your tires more than occaionally.....anytime you put that much strain on a lot of different parts, somethings gonna wear out prematurely. Chrysler's tranny's aren't THAT strong to begin with. Not saying something will fall off in the next two weeks, but if your thinking of keeping your PT for a few years, be prepared for problems.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 02:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The strain is at its greatest when the tires are still getting traction about to break loose and again when the torque equalizes and the tires begin to regain traction. When tires are spinning wildly, the tires are taking almost all of the abuse. Obviously, the more often you spin the tires, the more often you subject your driveline to additional forces as the tires go into and come out of the spin condition.

The more you increase the torque delivering capacity of the PT and the more frequently you exceed the parameters Chrysler assumed in their reliability model, the shorter the life of the drivetrain.

Will it break in a few times, not likely. Will the life of drivetrain be impacted, yes.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 16 Oct 2004, 08:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Thanks. I was concerned, since I have been doing alot of 1/4 mile runs the first weekend I got the DigiMoto. I was planning to do more this weekend if the weather gets a little better, but may consider just doing alot fewer runs.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 18 Oct 2004, 11:56 am
Senior Cruiser

One more thing.I'm just pointing this out.I might be way off.
I've seen a few posts where people have had broken motor mounts.
Like I say I'm just putting in my 2 cents and it might not be
worth anything.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 19 Oct 2004, 02:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Brake torqueing is bad.
What it does is wear your brake pads down quickly and worp your rotors. Learn from my experience in my stupidity with another car. It then only cost me 180. But now with the PTs maintenance being much higher, I don’t think you want to do that.

Heck my tranny slipped at 26000 and I don't ever, intenionally turn my tires.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 06:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

is BRAKE torquing the same as POWER BRAKING?&lt;~ sorry, old school
if so, how can that wear down the pads on a FWD car? [:I] Most of the power goes to the front brakes, so it's not like your going to be spinning the front tires while the brakes are applied. The old RWD cars where you applied just enough brake pressure to let the rear tires spin is different isn't it? I thought in FWD cars you held the emer/hand brake until you spun the fronts? I am in the right ballpark here[:I] School me fellow PT'ers...[?]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer