Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark gap, .50 or .45?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2004, 12:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spark gap, .50 or .45?

A few months ago, several folks suggested reducing the gap from .50 to.45 for less hesitation and smoother acceleration. I tried it and took a hit on MPG. If you changed also, let me know if your MPG changed and if you actually noticed an improvement in performance. I am using the double platinum plugs.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did mine over a year ago (Champion platinums) and set them at 0.050.
My mileage has consitently crept upward to about 25+ now at nearly 80,000 miles.
I find it hard to fathom that the plug gap could have much impact on mileage. What I have read is that when folks check the gap of plugs they take out (I didn't) the gap has grown.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Oct 2004, 01:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clevelandmike

A few months ago, several folks suggested reducing the gap from .50 to.45 for less hesitation and smoother acceleration. I tried it and took a hit on MPG. If you changed also, let me know if your MPG changed and if you actually noticed an improvement in performance. I am using the double platinum plugs.
On a turbo you can get a "blow out" effect @ high boost / high RPM. Closing the gap can reduce this problem. I run a .42-.45 on my turbo. It has helped some. On a NA car I don't believe it is necessary.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 18 Oct 2004, 02:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with Cal. All of the talk I've heard about dropping the plug gap has been with the Turbo only.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 09:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Let me see if I got this right 50 on the NA's
and 45 on the turbos?

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 19 Oct 2004, 02:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Based on my interpretations of the recommendations of the good folks on this Forum, I set our NA car's plug gap at .042"
I did this because the original plugs (at 60K miles) were at a giant .085" (!) when I took them out...and figured I could get better "area under the curve" sweet spot time by initially setting the Double Platinums to the low side of the scale.

10K miles later.....so far so good [?]
Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 19 Oct 2004, 04:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

I guess I could say I did notice a slight change in gas mileage. I did record to runs of 21, then installed my DBL plats and 8.5mm wires, changing the gas from .5 to .45 and now record 19 MPG. I have notice a slight better performance change however.