PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
N/A 0-60 times

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2004, 04:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default N/A 0-60 times

Can anyone here remember or find a 0-60 rating for the cruiser from the dealer? Im curious.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 04:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

I did a Google search and found this, which states it does 0-60 in 8.6.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 19 Oct 2004, 04:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

MotorWeek Online ROAD TEST

2003 Chrysler PT Turbo (Program #2210)

Engine 2.4 liter, twin cam 16-valve I-4

Horsepower 215

Torque 245 lb feet

0-60 mph 6.7 seconds

1/4 mile 15.3 seconds @ 92 mph

60-0 mph 125 feet

In the summer of 2000, Chrysler's anxiously awaited PT Cruiser began rolling off the assembly line and on to showroom floors. Since then, sales of the retro 5-door have been brisk, as Chrysler has kept the PT buzz going with chopped and channeled auto show concepts and ever more creative trim. But what the PT Cruiser needs for long term success is power to match its street rod looks. Well, the PT Turbo has arrived.

And after being titillated by rumors, followed by sightings of the turbocharged GT Cruiser Concept that graced the auto show circuit several years ago, we say it's about time! And the arrival of the new 2003 Chrysler PT Turbo now brings the total number of available and soon to be available members of the PT Cruiser family up to five. As the PT Turbo joins the current Flame, the Woodie, and the Dream Cruiser Series 1 models, as well as the recently announced PT Cruiser Convertible. And, at the recent Paris Auto Show, Chrysler gave us a hint at the direction that the second generation PT Cruiser might be headed when they unveiled this chopped top California Cruiser concept.

But enough about the future. With a short two weeks of PT Turbo cruisin' in front of us, our first order of business was to hustle the PT Turbo to the track to check out its departure, from the starting line, that is. And we weren't disappointed. Our AutoStick automatic PT Turbo hit 60 in a brisk 6.7 seconds, and then spanked the quarter mile in 15.3 seconds at 92 MPH! That bettered the original PT's rather leisurely 0-60 by 2 , seconds, with a 1 , second quicker quarter mile. Equally impressive is the lack of turbo lag on launch. Just nail the throttle and the PT Turbo leaps off the line with a smooth and linear increase in power as it pulls to the redline. In fact, 90 percent of the peak torque is available from 2300 to 5000 rpm.

Traction control is included on the PT Turbo's standard equipment list, and we were pleased to find that it allowed a fair amount of wheel spin before engaging, unlike many systems that clamp down on any attempt at forward progress almost immediately when the wheels break free.

Providing the PT Turbo's punch is a High Output 2.4 liter, twin cam 16-valve I-4 that, with the turbo boost, puts out 215 horsepower and 245 pound-feet of torque. Pretty sweet numbers for this little PT. But there's more good news. This isn't just a standard PT engine with a turbo bolted on. In the interest of reliability, the engine block assembly, cylinder head, and crankshaft have been redesigned to handle the engine's higher output. Pistons are cooled with racing-style oilers, and the oil lubrication and water cooling systems of the turbo were designed for maximum durability. A performance tuned exhaust system is also part of the turbo package. A heavy-duty Getrag 5-speed manual transmission is the standard offering, while the 4-speed AutoStick automatic, like our tester's, is optional. This is the first time the manual-mode AutoStick has been available on the PT.

The PT Turbo maintains the use of the MacPherson strut front, twist beam rear axle with Watt's linkage suspension that's found on other PTs in the line. But, while the PT Turbo's setup has been ''performance-tuned'' with stiffer springs and softer shocks, it's still no autocross monster. Understeer and body roll are abundant, and with minimal feedback from the rack and pinion steering, you never really feel connected to the road. That said, the handling is very consistent. No matter how lightly or aggressively you enter a corner, the PT Turbo responds in the same predictable manner.

And predictable is also a good way to describe the PT Turbo's braking performance. With the standard four-wheel disc ABS braking system at our com
Old 19 Oct 2004, 05:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Now the question is how many have had there Pt run these numbers quoted?
Old 19 Oct 2004, 05:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

I've seen plenty of PT GT (non Stage 1) run right at the 15.3 (15.5 according to some other mags) quoted. If the N/A was a full second slower that would put it right around 16.3~16.5 in the 1/4 mile. I've read of a couple 180HP Turbo Lites running 15.9s, so it all seems to fit pretty well.

Looks to break down something like this for 1/4 mile times:

N/A: 16.3~16.5
Turbo Lite: 15.9~16.0
GT: 15.3~15.5
Stage 1: 14.7~14.9 (added to either a GT or Turbo Lite - it levels the playing field)
Old 12 Feb 2008, 11:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: N/A 0-60 times

I have an automatic 2003 PT Cruiser touring edition. What can I do to my cruiser to increase my 0-60 time?
Old 13 Feb 2008, 05:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by opportunity View Post
I have an automatic 2003 PT Cruiser touring edition. What can I do to my cruiser to increase my 0-60 time?
Throw out all your seats except the drivers. Never fill the gas tank more than 1/4 full. Take out and discard the spare tire. Find the skinniest kid on the block to drive your PT. Weight is your enemy.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

"Find the skinniest kid on the block to drive your PT" lol !!
Old 13 Feb 2008, 05:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Are there any mods I can get to increase performance that aren't TOO pricey?

I have no mechanical experience, so I have no idea how to even get the mod installed. Should I just take it to a mechanic or something?
Old 13 Feb 2008, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Three things will help the PT, but not turn it into any kind of sports car. A free breathing air intake with less restriction. A good tune-up to include better wires and plugs and a free flowing exhaust.

Parts alone could be anywhere between $300 - $600 depending on what you buy and this doesn't include what you'll have to pay for installation.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.