PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark plugs

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Oct 2004, 10:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spark plugs

I'm new to the site, so if you have already addressed this, please excuse the return.
I went to buy spark plugs and the dealer informed me that the SPRE14MCC5 plug has been superceded by RE16MC or LZTR4A-11. The service bulletin it referenced was 08-008-04.
Old 21 Oct 2004, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Tom - you should post this in the General Tech and performance forum...
Here's "poop" on plugs:
Spark Plugs

Note: There are other spark plugs, like the Denso PT16VR13 or Iridium ITV16, but those spark plugs require a specially machined socket and custom spark plug wire sets to install/remove and work properly. In other words, the spark plugs were not designed for use in the PT or 2.4L engine. Lose or crack the special spark plug socket and you will not be able to remove the spark plug. Also, platinum spark plugs are NOT recommended for use in turbo engines.

Champion
Copper - stock # 440 - RE14MCC5 (OEM)
Copper - stock # 470 - RE14MCC5 (supercedes/replaces # 440, but some catalogs list same part #)
Copper - RE16MC (supercedes/replaces RE14MCC5 and new Chrysler recommended gap is .040)
Single Platinum - stock # 3032 (one range colder)
Double Platinum - stock # 7440 - RE14PLP5
Double Platinum - stock # 7570 (supercedes/replaces # 7440)
Double Platinum - stock # 7032 (one range colder)
Note: There is a stock # 3570 listed as marine/truck premium plug, but no further information is available.

NGK
Copper - LZTR4A-11 (supercedes/replaces RE14MCC5 and new Chrysler recommended gap is .040)
Copper - stock # 4306 - LZTR5A-13 (one range colder)
Platinum - PLZTR5A-13 (listed for turbo engine, one range colder)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Oct 2004, 11:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanx for the POOP!!!
2003 Basic with non-turbo engine, AirRaid performance intake with K & N low restriction air filter, PowerAid TBI spacer, Hedman header (4-2-1 style, black powder coated), BTG stainless steel dual exhaust system (2 ½” mandrel-bent stainless tubing), Screamin’ Demon coil,
Plasma Booster ignition, Nology Hot Wires, Champion double platinum spark plugs, chrome side spears, fender wheel well trim, chrome door scuff guards, chrome grill kit, personalized “Slip’s PT” Logo, relocated(front) license plate mounting assembly, stainless steel slotted backup light trim set, rear spoiler, stock horns replaced with (3) FIAMM air horns, and custom chrome wheels with Kleen Wheels dust shields and Goodyear wide profile tires.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 05:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Geez QSD, that info looks familiar, like from my website...lol...it's ok...just messing with you.
[)][}][?]
Old 25 Oct 2004, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sci-Fi

Geez QSD, that info looks familiar, like from my website...lol...it's ok...just messing with you.
[)][}][?]
Yup - last time I gave you "credit" - someone piped up - (MX-5??) and said you got it from them!!! [:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Oct 2004, 04:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

And there is also the NGK Iridium plugs which I got from Sparkplugs.com Plug number LZTR5AIX-13. Gap is 0.052" You should also put in new plug wires according to the TSB. Cost of the new plugs for me was about $40 which included freight and state tax. I should get another 30,000 miles of wear over the stock plugs but not as much mileage as the double platinums. I have a turbo so platinums were not on my list.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 27 Aug 2005, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom SLippy

I'm new to the site, so if you have already addressed this, please excuse the return.
I went to buy spark plugs and the dealer informed me that the SPRE14MCC5 plug has been superceded by RE16MC or LZTR4A-11. The service bulletin it referenced was 08-008-04.
Dream Cruiser II #1736
Old 27 Aug 2005, 05:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Herschel

Well, I was waiting for the right time and forum. I think this
is it. I had been running Stock heatrange Champion plugs
RE16MC and the car ran o.k. I personally was never crazy
about Champion plugs. Switched over to Autolite
XP xtreme performance plugs XP5263 for the Turbo. Stock
wires. I "REALLY LIKE THESE PLUGS!!!!!" They are expensive.
Also tried denzo ITV16. For me, NOT so great.
Maybe we can have some feedback? Cool H.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 12:34 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom SLippy
...plug has been superceded by RE16MC...service bulletin it referenced was 08-008-04.
The Champion Copper Plus RE16MC spark plugs are for use in N/A engines ONLY. Read the referenced Service Bulletin carefully--turbo engines are NOT referenced at all. Good luck.
Old 02 Sep 2005, 02:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jmack

Let me put my two cents in on this and give you guys a laugh. Two weeks ago I had a check engine light come on. I learned a valuable thing:
1. take your car to Advance or Autozone to get the codes, dont' pay the dealer.
2. Learn how to do things yourself on this car! I have saved so much money by learning how to do things on my own.

which brings me to my point. I changed my spark plugs and wires. My father gave me the gapping tool that he had used. I gapped the plugs and put them in. Ran fine for a few days, and then it started misfiring again. Got out the gapping tool. I don't know where my father got it but it definitely wasn't accurate. I went to Advance and bought a new gapping tool. I had the gap on my plugs at like .25!!! My car was DYING for power!!!

Now after the tune up, the RPM was high, sure enough, Vacuum hose was not staying on. It actually looked swollen from the heat, so I put a clamp on it to keep it on.

Now the car will FLY down the interstate, and I can keep up with the best of em!