Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Vibration in wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2004, 04:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Vibration in wheels

I've had a vibration in wheels since I bought it. Had 2 tires replaced, didn't help. Apprently a bad belt in one...or is it a bad rim....axle.

Can someone help me on this.
I have waited until almost needing new tires to replace stock POS tires in my cruiser. I was told by tech new tires would solve problem from way back when.

Help
Thanks.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 04:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Colby,

The tech is probably right and the new tires will cure your problem. A lot of the OEM Badyears that were used on the PT's are junk.

Put GY's on the wife's car(at Wal-Mart) and took them back for vibration. More GY's and they did the same. Finally, they threw a set of Michelin's on and everything's fine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 04:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Im looking into getting some Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S's.

Thanks for insite for some help.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 04:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KingKole02

Im looking into getting some Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S's.

Thanks for insite for some help.
I had a vibration in mine. Goodyear finally sent me to a shop that could balance them properly. I had had them rebalanced at a shop that had used rim weights on the outer rim and these wheels need to use the internal type of weights where they are stuck to the inner arc of the wheel. 20 minutes later it was fixed. I would say find a shop that can do it this way unless you really need new tires.

Also, does your wheel shake when applying the brakes. If the rotors are warped enough it can cause a front end vibration even without applying the brakes as the brake pads ride every so slightly on the rotor as you drive.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 27 Oct 2004, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Second set of Good-for-a-Year tires I ever had - the other set came on a new Chrysler, too. I guess I was lucky, didn't have vibration, but they wore out way too fast. I have not been disappointed in Michelins, ever.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Cal Cruzer,
Good point about the brake rotors, but no I have no trouble with them, had them replaced at 20000, and now at 27800 there still in good shape.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 04:03 pm
Young Cruiser

I had mine in to the dealer 3X since it had like 3oo miles on it. They force balanced it like 2X. Still vibrates at exactly 80 mph (my comfortable cruising speed) I give up. OEM Badyear tires a pure junk and can't wait till they wear out. Oh yeah I almost forgot the I called Badyear got a case number and they told me I had to drive to a company store like 45 mins. away Monday thru Friday 9-5 to see if they would cover under warr. Well when I called the mgr. he tels me factory tires are a problematic and immediately tries to up-sell me. FOOBAR! I will never spend my $$ on Badyear tires, Korean tires are better than Badyear.