PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
NGK Iridium Plugs...Questions I asked the tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2004, 09:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default NGK Iridium Plugs...Questions I asked the tech

Since I am changing my plugs to NGK Iridiums, I wanted to find out about gapping them. I called NGK and spoke to a tech. Here are the questions and his answers:

Q1. Does the NGK's come with anti-seize lube?
A1. They do not do it themselves, but have no idea what their distributer does or not. They recommend not to put anti-seize lube, since it could affect the torque of the plugs. If you do want to use anti-seize lube, put a very small amount.

Q2. Is it ok to change the gap of the plugs?
A2. With the PT's stock gap, there is no need to change the gap. But if you do, be very careful, since the tips can easily be damaged. Do not use those gap tools that are little rings, which gradually increase in size. They recommend using the gap tools, with the wire.

Q3. Is there a possibility of the metal from the gap tool scraping off on the tips damaging it?
A3. Yes, but the bigger concern is using an improper gap tool that will bend/break the tip.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 04:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for the Info which is just about what I came up with after checking on-line sources. I will be putting in my NGK Iridiums this weekend and not re-gapping them or using anti-seize compound. I am changing my wires too and will use about twice the dielectric grease on both boot ends that MOPAR gives U in the wire kit!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 12:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

Q1. Does the NGK's come with anti-seize lube?
A1. They do not do it themselves, but have no idea what their distributer does or not. They recommend not to put anti-seize lube, since it could affect the torque of the plugs. If you do want to use anti-seize lube, put a very small amount.
The "tech's" reply to this questions is really off base. The point of anti-seize to to help you get an accurate torque. The grabbing or "galling" of metal to metal contact will give you an artificially higher torque reading without the anti-sieze or some lubricant. Secondly, anti-seize should always be applied when you have an aluminium head. It reduces the chance of cross-threading the plug and will also reduce any reaction of putting 2 unlike metals together, making removal easier when the time comes.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 27 Oct 2004, 01:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Not sure, but if you live in the US, you can call a toll free number to clarify that. Here's their info:

Technical Support
hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm Monday-Friday EST
tel: 1-877-473-6767 prompt #2

I got that from www.ngksparkplugs.com

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 28 Oct 2004, 02:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

No antiseize on plugs...YIKES. I agree with Cal Cruzer. A little spray antiseize or the stuff that comes in the tub is good. Just don't get it on the tips. What I do is use a hose that fits over the porcelin part of plug to start them. It will just slip around the plug if it goes in cross threaded and doesn't have enough resistance to ruin anything. It is easier to cross thread on say a v8 in tight engine bays as opposed to on the top, right in front of you like the pt's but why risk it.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 28 Oct 2004, 02:37 am
Cool Cruiser

I am a professional career mechanic.
You will NEVER see me install steel threaded plugs into an aluminum head without anti-sieze coating.

Dissimilar metals with different expansion temperature coefficients just beg to sieze together and strip the threads on the softer aluminum cylinder head.

The spark plug guy on the phone isn't the one to shell out $600 for a head in another 70K miles.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 03:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

HEY EVERYONE! Don't kill the messenger! Geesh! Just trying to relate to those who might have had the same questions I did, which is why I posted it. If you have to gripe, the number is up on the previous post. Call the tech. I believe all of most of you are in the US, so the call is free and have yourselves a tech war.

For myself, yes, I will put anti-sieze lube, but not alot, as they recommend.

But I suggest all you techs give their tech support # a call. If they're giving out the wrong info, voice it out. You seem to do a great job on it here.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 28 Oct 2004, 05:54 am
Senior Cruiser

How about a little gas on the fire? Both Champion and NGK say dont use anti-seize on their premium plugs!! Champion claims they already have a coating on the threads and you got the answer from NGK tech which is the official line at NGK!

Yes I have been using anti-seize compound since they came out with aluminum heads but this is the official line from these two big plug giants! Next they will tell me not to use silicone grease in the plug wire boots![xx(]
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 08:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I always use anti-seize, dielectric grease, and ALWAYS chek the gap of new plugs. I usually find the gap on at least 1 in 4 is way off.
To adjust, bend the "arm" - never pry against the center post - no matter what it's made of - you run the risk of cracking the ceramic.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Oct 2004, 11:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Maybe it's their way of getting people to keep buying their plugs. Sure, you can get them on and love the performance, but when you need to check them to regap them, you won't be able to remove it, thus breaking the plugs. Then you're forced to buy new plugs.