Advertisements
rear Anti sway bar

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2004, 02:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default rear Anti sway bar

The 2003 base model pt didn't come with the antisway bar,am I correct? Has anyone added it and what was the cost? Was it hard ?
Old 27 Oct 2004, 02:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine was on with the factory options package I found at the dealer. I don't remeber the cost. I want to over time upgrade mine to a full front and back setup.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 06:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gonzomania

The 2003 base model pt didn't come with the antisway bar,am I correct? Has anyone added it and what was the cost? Was it hard ?
Both the 2003 and 2004 GT models didn't come with a Rear Stabilizer bar. I don't know about the 2005 models but my guess would be they also have "a missing rear sway bar". [V] I had my dealer install one before taking delivery of my car at a cost of $193 (parts/labor).
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

I bet you DC will put the rear anti sway bars back in if one person who has an accident and looses control then blames it due to not having a rear anti sway bar in.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 28 Oct 2004, 02:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

The 03, 04 pt's have rear sway bars, they are just inside the trailign arm-axle assembly. But, just out of curiousity, but Gary, did your dealership just install the stuff out of a 01 or 02 and it bolted right up. I never really looked at one to see if the frame and axle nuts and everything were all in place.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 28 Oct 2004, 02:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

My '04 PT GT does NOT have a rear sway anti-sway bar. I just put Eibach anti-sways (front & back) and I would have noticed if I have 2 rear sway bars in there.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 28 Oct 2004, 05:58 am
Senior Cruiser

I remember hearing somewhere that the 2005 ragtops which have been out some time now are using a rear sway bar. Can anyone confirm that?

[8)]
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 11:16 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigtommy83

The 03, 04 pt's have rear sway bars, they are just inside the trailign arm-axle assembly...
I think that is no more than "DC corporate spin" [:0] and the removal of this part is simply a "cost-cutting measure", but, I may be wrong. [B)] You need to decide this issue for yourself. [:I]

Read what DC has to say:

Chrysler Service Bulletin
Number: 02-004-02
Group: Suspension
Date: Oct. 28, 2002

Subject:
Rear Stabilizer Bar

Overview:
This bulletin provides rear stabilizer bar technical information.

Models:
2003 (PT) PT Cruiser

Discussion:
From the initial launch of the PT Cruiser (2001 M.Y.) all vehicles built for sale in the U.S.
and Canada included two devices for roll control at the rear of the vehicle:
* An internal stabilizer bar, integrated into the rear twist beam axle; and
* An external supplemental bar, which was added during production development to achieve
desired vehicle dynamics characteristics.
An engineering change occured for the 2003 MY that increased the size of the internal
stabilizer bar. This new internal bar provides a level of control which equals the
performance of the previous combination of internal and external bars. As a result, the
external supplemental bar was no longer required, and was dropped from produciton.

NOTE: NO EQUIPMENT SHORTAGE IS PRESENT ON 2003 PT CRUISERS WHICH DO
NOT HAVE AN EXTERNAL STABILIZER BAR. NO RETROFIT OR ADJUSTMENT IS
REQUIRED. THE FUNCTION OF ROLL CONTROL AND BALANCE IS ACHIEVED
ENTIRELY BY THE INTERNAL STABILIZER BAR, WHICH IS INTEGRAL TO
THE REAR TWIST BEAM AXLE. ADDITION OF A SUPPLEMENTAL EXTERNAL
STABILIZER BAR ON U.S. OR CANADE MARKET 2003 MY PT CRUISER IN
THE ABSENCE OF OTHER CHANGES WILL COMPROMISE THE VEHICLES'
RIDE CHARACTERISTICS, AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

Policy:
Information Only

From research I have done the Rear Stablizer Bar does make a difference. Not having this part on my car is a safety issue for me. I have read reports from people owning GTs without this bar installed having experienced some problems with vehicle stability especially at highway speeds when the vehicle is fully-loaded with cargo and/or people. Since my car never was without this part I can't comment on the "before driving experience", but, with it installed, my car handles very well and I have peace of mind.

Many DC dealerships, even the good ones, don't know the "missing rear stabilizer bar issue" even exists. My first car (2003 GT Turbo) was built on 1/31/03 and a few weeks before I took delivery (2/21/03) I spoke with the General Sales Manager on this subject. He told a staff member to check the GTs on the lot--surprise, none had rear sway bars. I was told if the window sticker on my new GT listed a rear sway bar then I would get one installed free of charge. My GT arrived and the window sticker read, under Standard Equipment, "Stabilizer Bar -- Front." I ended up having to pay for the missing part installed on my car--no regrets whatsoever.

Read what the PTCOC San Diego Director had to say about the missing sway bar on the 2003 GT Turbos which was posted on the PTE Forums:

"I've yet to hear of a 2003 PT Cruiser GT to have the rear sway bar on it from the factory. We've installed several of the rear sway bars at the dealership I work at. I know that Chrysler has since quit listing the rear sway bar on the build sheets for the Turbo. Everyone that I know of that has had them installed has noticed an obvious improvement, myself and our Asst Service Manager included."

Jerry (PT4JT) Torregrosa
San Diego Director
PT Cruiser Owners Club
Rancho Chrysler

You may find this thread interesting:</font id="re
cromagnondan likes this.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 02:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Have no fear KingKole is here,
Ok heres the deal, Im taking an 03 tonight out, going to 360 it, roll it and flip it. This time by next year I should be out of the hospital with all the PTs being recalled to get thier stabilizer bars put on. No need for applause, Im sure you'll miss me. [B)]

So, whats the deal, how much would it be to get put on while in for normal service anyways? [:I]
Old 28 Oct 2004, 03:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I put Eibach anti-sways for both front & back. I went with both, instead of just the rears, since it's usually best to go with a factory set. Besides, the Eibachs are adjustable for hard (dry, racing conditions, promotes oversteering) or soft (daily or wet/dry conditions, promotes understeering). Regarding the install, I had a budy of mine help me out, actually, he did most of the work. He's a tech at an Acura dealer, so I stopped by at 5:30 after the shop closed. So for me, it was free.

Actually, they're not that difficult to put on. You just need to make sure the rears are jacked up high enough to remove. There's no major hammering or using brute force to install the rears. You just need to remove the rear wheels. I would recommend at least, a pair of extra hands.