Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire Size and Speedometer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2004, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tire Size and Speedometer

I just bought new tires for my 2001 PT Limited Edition.
Michelin MXV4 PLUS XSE All season performance 215/55HR16 93H.
(It came with 205/55HR16)
The car handles better, however the speed now does a funny movement now, when I speed up the speedometer arm goes to what seems the proper speed read out, then when I slow down the speedometer drops dramtically down. I was told as long as I didn't change the height of the tire I wouldn't have any issues with the speedometer. Is that's what going on...the tires are 215 rather than 205's...?

Thank you for your help.
Jetcab
Old 27 Oct 2004, 04:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Try this site:http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp . Then you can determine what's happening

Gonz
Old 27 Oct 2004, 05:49 pm
Young Cruiser

You've got to change the aspect ratio when you change the tire width or the height of the tire will change, too. Check out www.tirerack.com for plus sizing tips. They suggest a 225/50-16 as a good option. When you changed the original 205/55-16's to 215/55-16 you increased the width, but left the aspect ratio the same, which made the tires slightly larger (taller) which screwed up your speedo. The computer's trying to compensate, but can't.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/578198
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/DreamWeaver/
Old 27 Oct 2004, 07:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

JetCab,

Here's a site that gives you the exact differences between two tire sizes. Fill the blanks and hit "compare".

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Everybody answered you, but I want to add...
WELCOME to the Forums.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Oct 2004, 03:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Yes! Welcome to cruiser links! I don't think your speedo problem is with your tires. I think accuracy is the only danger in changing tire size not what you report when you slow down. I know a slew of people that did exactly what you did and no speedo malfunctions. Yes their speedo is not as accurate but that did not bother them at all.

If you go to Tire Rack and compare your stock tire RPM (Revolutions Per Mile) with what you boght you can tell just how far off your speedo should be. You can get a malfunctioning digital speedo by buying tires and or wheels that are out of its range but yours are not like that at all. In fact the only possible malfunctioning problem I am aware of is the anti lock brakes and low speed traction control equipment which you probably don't have on your model and year Cruiser.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 02 Nov 2004, 07:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the warm welcome and the excellent technical replies to my quesiton. Based on the research and inputs I returned the 215's and had them replaced with the original size of 205/55/16. The speedometer likes it there haven't been any unusally drops from the speedometer needle.

Now, I have another issue, that has surfaced recently. When I apply my brakes and the speed is slowed to approximately 10mph give or take, the car acts like it's stalling and drops it's speed dramatically and I feel a sudden jerk I can't tell whether the car jerks forwards or backwards. I feel a sudden jolt as if everything shut down at once. This happens intermitently and typically if the car is cold or when I first turn on the air conditioner.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Jetcab
2001 LE
Old 07 Nov 2004, 12:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Jetcab, I replaced my stock 205x55x16 Goodyears LS with Yokohama AVID H4s 205x60x16. The new tires are 7/8 inch taller than stock (clear the front struts by 3/16 inch)(no cable chains). My speedometer seemed to be reading 5% fast with stock tires. It is now dead accurate at 67 mph (checked by radar). The movement of the speedometer needle was never effected by the tire size change.
Old 08 Nov 2004, 09:58 am
Senior Cruiser

you can try this site
http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html
Also like to add welcome to this forum,sorry I can't
help you with your other problem.You might want to repost
under new heading.Again welcome and good luck

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 28 Aug 2014, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: Tire Size and Speedometer

I think taxi service in nagpur is the best.