PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark plugs: newbie question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2004, 05:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spark plugs: newbie question

Hi:

I have two questions about the spark plugs needed for a 2001 PT Cruiser Touring Edition:

The guys at a local Texaco Quick Lube told me they couldn't change the plugs since they needed to lift something covering the spark plugs (the intake manifold???), which in turn would ruin someting they called in Spanish the "junta de multiple admision" (I *think* "multiple admision" = manifold... but I'm not sure... no idea how to translate "junta"). They said I need to purchase one so they can replace the old one after installing the new plugs.

Now, I cannot find that part locally (my Mopar dealer said it would have to to be ordered), but neither I can really order it online myself since I don't know how's that part called in English (the guys at Quick Lube didn't know, and I couldn't ask at the Mopar dealer since apparently they close Saturdays at noon *sigh*)...

Any idea what that part is called?

Ack... I feel so ignorant

Regards,

Edwin
Old 30 Oct 2004, 05:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wait... I *think* what they are referring to is the manifold gasket (gasket = "junta" according to http://world.altavista.com/tr).

Still, someone else has told me already that's bogus... but if that's so, how can i trust the Quick Lube guys to do it right then? Should I go to a local Mopar service center and pay more, or can I really do it myself when I have basically no experience servicing cars...
Old 30 Oct 2004, 09:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hoopdiewagon

That cant be the whole thing because plugs routinley have to be changed. Chrysler wouldnt have screwed everyone like that. Well...I hope not.
Old 30 Oct 2004, 10:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

GASKET Intake Manifold Upper to Lower Part Nr: 4777 868AB

Edwin,

There's a couple hundred of us that have changed, wires and plugs and a few changed their coil..nobody's had to buy a new manifold gasket to perform that task. The gasket can be used over after separating the two halves of the manifold. Personally I'd stay away from your "quick lube" guys and find somebody that knows what their doing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Oct 2004, 10:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN
Personally I'd stay away from your "quick lube" guys and find somebody that knows what their doing.
Sounds like sound advice to me.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 31 Oct 2004, 12:45 am
Regular Cruiser

check this link out:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291473219&idx=0

but u got to have a membership
Old 31 Oct 2004, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for the advice ... I'll definitely stay at arm's length from the Quick Lube guys from now on...

To Junkno: Extremely useful photo album, and funny as well ... That is exactly what I needed (er... do you have one on changing the oil and the ol filter? ).

I have a question about screwing in the plugs and the torque spec, though. I thought I could do that by hand and then twist the plug around a bit with a ratchet to tighten it a bit. However, you underscore the importance of being precise about the amount of torque used, and therefore one would need a torque wrench for that.

However, the torque wrenches I've seen online (I did a search since I was unfamiliar with the tool) are rather on the expensive side of the spectrum. Paying someone else to do the job would be less expensive

Can I do that with an ordinary ratchet and an appropriately sized socket? Or is that too risky?

Edwin
Old 31 Oct 2004, 07:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

You need to torque down the plugs. Too loose or too tight of a plug will not make proper contact.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 31 Oct 2004, 10:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I found a micrometer torque wrench (in/lbs) at the local flea market for around $20.00. Sears wanted 45.00 for about the same wrench.
Old 31 Oct 2004, 11:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Torquing down the five small bolts that put the two halves of the manifold together is pretty important also. They can strip really easy with too much torque...take my word on that!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.