Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GE Nighthawk Headlight Bulbs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2004, 11:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default GE Nighthawk Headlight Bulbs

Today at a local Wal-Mart I seen a new headlight bulb from GE called NightHawk. There is no blue tint on the bulb but they say that it is 30 percent brighter than a standard halagen bulb. It sells for 26 bucks. has anybody used these bulbs yet???
Old 05 Nov 2004, 09:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

No I haven't used them. I would just watch the wattage, if over 55 watts I'd be careful they have had a tendency to get to hot and melt or burn fixtures and wiring. Let us know how you make out

Gonz
Old 05 Nov 2004, 12:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Haven't seen them yet we bought zenon 80 watt for hi beams lo beams and fog lites two years ago No problems yet.[:I]

flames&stripes by \"gator\" 2003 milan dragway \"chrysler classic\" winner
Old 05 Nov 2004, 03:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

Love my Silverstars. Wouldn't trade them for anything but HID. Is that 26 a pair or a piece? If it is a piece, I would go for the Silverstars.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 05 Nov 2004, 04:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with BigTommy,
I wouldn't trade my Silverstars unless I could get H.I.D.

Take you stock bulbs, turn on both your headlights and fog lights, thats how bright just the headlights are with silverstars, then when you turn on you fogs too, you got instant day light.

I like it when I pull up next to a truck that sits about 8" higher then you and your lights go further then thiers. You can tell when you hit bumps and the street signs light up further.
Old 05 Nov 2004, 06:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have the silverstar on mine both in the low beam headlight and the fog/driving light....I am not that impressed with them...plus they do not last very long...In my opinion any time you put a blue tint on glass you will reduce the light somewhat. I know that this will start a big argument over it but I feel that I get a more CRISP light with the extra visions by sylvanis...then the silverstar...
Old 07 Nov 2004, 04:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

The Silverstars just don't have a blue tint. The are a multi colored bulb to make up more of a white beam. Just like white light is made up of all colors. And, the part about not lasting that long, maybe you touched them when you installed them. The oil on your fingers causes the bulb to burn out by creating hot spots on the bulb. I've had Silverstars on my cars since they released Silverstars. And I drive my car with my lights on. Never had one burn out. I have never seen extra visons that I am aware of, so I cannot compare the two, but I do love having a nice crisp beam like projector headlights.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 08 Nov 2004, 10:29 am
Regular Cruiser

There was a thread similar to this in an older forum and the concensus was that any of the "bright white" bulbs that claim to be brighter are brighter white - but not due to increased output.

The light bulb isn't going to put out any more intensity unless you increase the wattage. When you use the blue-range lights, although the light itself is definitely whiter, the output of the bulbs is actually a little ~less~ than the standard OEM-type bulbs because the bulbs are tinted - inherently filtering the bulbs' output. So...less range, but much brighter white.

In conclusion, if you want white or colored light, go with the aftermarket bulbs. If you want more output, either use the OEM bulbs or increase your wattage.

Just my .02 [^]

2003 Patriot Blue GT
\"R\" Package
Autostick
K&N drop-in w/both airbox silencers removed
Brand \"X\" Turbo-up pipe
Old 08 Nov 2004, 09:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Maybe I have been driving my 87 Mustang too long but compared to it the Cruisers standard lights are just fabulous. Low beams are good and those high beams make the night turn to noon. The fog lights are a little weak but fill in nicely if used with the low beams. Sorry I just dont think the lights need much improving.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 09 Nov 2004, 04:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

(In conclusion, if you want white or colored light, go with the aftermarket bulbs. If you want more output, either use the OEM bulbs or increase your wattage.)

So how do you increase the wattage?