PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help: Auto Tranny Key Release

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2004, 03:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help: Auto Tranny Key Release

Need some help,
I have an 03 N/A with an auto transmission. I have just over 40k miles, so I'm not under the warranty anymore. As with most cars, the ignition will release the key once the car is stopped and the transmission is in park. Lately, when I park the car and turn off the ignition, the key will not go into the off position and allow the key to come out of the ignition. I normally will have to put the tranny in and out of gear a few times before it will release the key. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is this a transmission problem or an ignition problem? And would this be covered by the 70k Drive Train warranty? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.[:I]
Old 02 Dec 2004, 08:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

2 thoughts:
1) Foot firmly on the brake when you try to go in/out of park? It's something I had to get used to - a safety interlock.
2) The lock cylinder may be bad. Do you (like my wife) have pounds of keys on your car keychain? It screws up the lock.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Dec 2004, 12:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

not sure if its only on the stick cars but I have a button just beind the key that has to be pressed in to remove the key. could be a bad park/neutral switch otherwise.
Old 02 Dec 2004, 03:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RallyDRock

not sure if its only on the stick cars but I have a button just beind the key that has to be pressed in to remove the key. could be a bad park/neutral switch otherwise.
Yep, the button behind the key is ONLY on the manual transmission. The automatic just has to have the gear shift in Park. However, if the steering wheel lock is binding the key will still not come out. Might try putting pressure on the steering wheel to the right then the left to see if the key comes out easier.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 02 Dec 2004, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Seems to be tied directly to the gear shift being in the park position. Tried turning the steering wheel to no avail. Just don't know if it is a mechanical lever/switch that is tripped when shifting into park or is it something electrical that is tripped. Guess I'll go see a mechanic friend of mine tonight and see what he thinks. Will let you know what I find out. Thanks for everyones input.[^]
Old 02 Dec 2004, 10:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

My 03 came with the 7/70 powertrain warranty. If it is a tranny problem it should be covered.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 03 Dec 2004, 11:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Hey all, I got the service manual info for Graveone on this. There is a shift interlock cable that runs from the shifter to the ignition switch. There is an adjustment outlined that is done at the shifter end. He should be able to get his key out tonight. If anyone else has this come up, look in section 21. I won't go into detail, since this is a basic antitheft feature, and I'm sure no one wants a PT to disappear.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 27 Jul 2011, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help: Auto Tranny Key Release

Hello my 2006 with auto transmission is running fine but when i park the car and put the gear shift lever in park the gear shift knob push button wont come up so that it is not locking the into park.I can go from park to all gears with out having to put on the brake. So know the key is trapped in the ignition and will start and turn of the engine but will not go to the off position for me to remove it.Good thing I have two keys so I have been UN hooking the battery every time I park it and locking it with extra key.Do you know were I can find the service Manuel for this I could sure use some help if any one has it for me.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 09:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Help: Auto Tranny Key Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
2 thoughts:
1) Foot firmly on the brake when you try to go in/out of park? It's something I had to get used to - a safety interlock.
2) The lock cylinder may be bad. Do you (like my wife) have pounds of keys on your car keychain? It screws up the lock.
THIS! x2

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help: Auto Tranny Key Release

Thank you and I have tried that.Some one had said that if soda or other drinks in the cup holders bight have leaked down and could be the problem and well ya my car was a mess and after pulling out the coin holder to clean it I can see spilled soda under there so I'm hoping that could be the problem. But I'm not sure on taking the console out I would hate to mess some thing up but then I cant really afford taking it to shop. I need a repair book so I got directions in front of me.I'm one to always read before i do something like this. But if any one had more things to try through them at me or do you know how to pull the console out..