Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Parking brake light coming on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2004, 05:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Parking brake light coming on

In the last couple days or so, my parking brake light has come on when I do a good hard acceleration. It only comes on for a quick second, and a short chime will sound. I've got 16,500 miles on my 2003. I try not to use the brake really hard, opting for the tansmission to help slow me down as well (5 spd). I did a search and found that it's the brake pads that are wearing out. Is this the case, or could it be a short in the wiring?
Old 03 Dec 2004, 05:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yes...pad wear and low fluid level will do that. In my own case, I continued to drive a few more weeks and the warning light stayed on for a progressively longer time. After brake job, all is well.
Old 03 Dec 2004, 10:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

I Is this the case, or could it be a short in the wiring?
Check your brake fluid & add as necessary until you get the brakes done. Probably not a short.
Old 06 Dec 2004, 02:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yeah, just low fluid. I would have your brakes inspected. You probably have quite a few miles left on the current pads, this is just an early warning shot over the bow.

There seems to be a wide disparity in the pad life on these cars. I inspect my brakes every time I rotate my tires and at 23,000 miles I have more than half of the pads left. I wonder why some are wearing out so soon? Some people are doing brakes before they ever reach 20,000.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 06 Dec 2004, 08:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

Driving habits or differents pads from different suppliers at different times. Ust like electrical products. They can look the exact same and have the same part number but they can be made by two or more different companies. Depends on who had the lowest bid, but mainly it is driving habits. Like two fotting it or catching the brakes as soon as you can read the warning label on the stop sign.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 06 Dec 2004, 08:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2step

Yes...pad wear and low fluid level will do that. In my own case, I continued to drive a few more weeks and the warning light stayed on for a progressively longer time. After brake job, all is well.
That's what it was with mine. If you add fluid, when you push the pistons back when you do change pads, the master cylinder may overflow.
I changed pads instead & found the originals had about 1/2 thickness left. I don't regret it - put in Raybestos ceramic pads and NO DUST.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Dec 2004, 08:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:[ If you add fluid, when you push the pistons back when you do change pads, the master cylinder may overflow.
This is just part of doing brakes. Just bleed out the extra or use a vacuum pump and take it out of the MC. I don't like to waste anything so I use 'em up before I replace things.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 06 Dec 2004, 09:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:
Originally posted by 2step

In my own case,
I changed pads instead & found the originals had about 1/2 thickness left. I don't regret it - put in Raybestos ceramic pads and NO DUST.
I changed mine at 28K to NAPA ceramics, had over 1/2 pad left. Once changed, NO DUST, just like they day.
Old 06 Dec 2004, 10:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Hey guys. If you have a PT with ABS, the service manual states not to push the brake fluid back into the master cylinder. You're supposed to add alittle fluid first, then open the bleeder screw so the extra fluid in the piston can come out while you push the piston back into the caliper. Do that on both sides of the brakes you are changing (ie., fronts or rears) then top off the brake fluid when then job is done.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior