Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Parts Stocked Locally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2004, 04:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Parts Stocked Locally

Is it just me or does Chrysler not seem to carry many parts locally. Virtually everything that has had to be replaced under warranty on my PT has had to be shipped in from Michigan (1 rack and pinion unit, 2 AC/Heater control units, 2 brake calipers). Usually takes 4-6 days.

Things may have changed over the past few years but I rarely had to wait more than a day or 2 for a part under warranty from Ford or GM. Maybe I am just running a streak of bad luck but the Service Manager at a 5 Star dealer told me that Chrysler doesn't stock many parts locally and that they must wait for ground shipment of even small light parts. Odd, since my brother has an older Corvette and GM still air ships small light parts to the dealer when they are not available locally. The Service Manager did say that under Daimler's direction, Chrysler is moving to use the same components in more applications rather than carry so many different items. The example he cited was the number of horns was being reduced from 23 to 4.

Of course some folks will tell you anything to get you out of their office.
Old 05 Dec 2004, 05:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't think he was telling lies. Just think of all the millions of parts there are in all the Chrysler cars, they really can't stock them all. All of the stuff your trying to get aren't parts that are asked for too much, and 2-4 dyas isn't bad. Hey, they could have been on "National Back-order" like my power steering pump was when I needed it.
Old 06 Dec 2004, 12:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Crewzin, I agree that a couple of days isn't bad for a part that might not normally be stocked but 5 days for a brake caliper. They kept my car during that time since they were replacing the right side front and rear brake calipers under warranty and were afraid that damage would result to the rotors if I continued to drive it.

The AC/Heater control unit must not weigh a pound. When I asked about expedited delivery, the response I got was "Chrysler doesn't do that".

It only took two days to get a new fuel tank for my Cadillac and I certainly wouldn't think that would be a normally stocked item.

Since you own a Corvette, how do you find that parts availability for it vs your PT?

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 06 Dec 2004, 11:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MichaelDay

Since you own a Corvette, how do you find that parts availability for it vs your PT?
Different animal all together. My Vette is 18 years old. When I need a part, I keep my fingers crossed if I have to go the the dealer to get it. But, we (Corvette owners) have a selection of aftermarket vendors that deal in nothing but Vette parts and accessories from 1953 up to the present C5 models, and they carry almost everything we could hope for.
Old 06 Dec 2004, 11:10 am
Senior Cruiser

I don't deal in car parts but to keep overhead/costs/warehouse and so on down, alot of companies I deal with just don't stock much at all anymore. The very common items yes, put other wise, its a wait. That is one reason I have contacts in the "new surplus market". Meaning, it can be from 1960 but never used, original package. Of course, common sense plays here, like don't buy rubber products for one!
Old 06 Dec 2004, 02:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Mike did you say that you have brake calipers replaced? What was the sign that they needed to be replaced?
Old 07 Dec 2004, 04:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art Rigby

Mike did you say that you have brake calipers replaced? What was the sign that they needed to be replaced?
I was told that both the front and rear pads on the right side of the car were completely worn down while the left side front and rear had about 30% left. The dealer said that "it must be a problem with the calipers" and replaced the two right calipers under warranty (27,000 miles). Seemed strange to me. I could understand the right front being worn down more as a result of the traction control kicking in more on the right side but the right rear I didn't understand at all.

Can't really complain about them changing the calipers out though. I only had to pay for new pads and they picked up the cost of the calipers and the labor to do the brake job, including turning the rotors, and replacing the calipers.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.