Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My luck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2004, 05:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default My luck

If there was a piece of paper in the street and it didn't move when any other car rode over it, some how it would find a way to get in my intake system or something.

I was turning a U-turn thinking I was making the turn, then bang, the Pt rode off a 12-18 drop hard enough to cause my radio to cut out for a second. Now the PT has a harsh grinding sound made from the passenger wheel area during accleration (main drive wheel).

I've jacked and crawled under it three times to find nothing wrong. What is my luck?

Im thinking of leaving it running somewhere and getting insurance money out of it because thats about all its good for.
Old 06 Dec 2004, 05:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Since it is only under acceleration, I would guess that you messed up the axle or CV joint if you can't see any visible damage.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 06 Dec 2004, 05:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Could I fix this myself?

Its under hard accleration, you can't hear it under normal accleration until you put it into passing gear or higher.
Old 06 Dec 2004, 05:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Take it to Edison Mall. Tis the season for giving, someone will take it[8]
Old 06 Dec 2004, 08:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Colby,

If Cal Cruzer is right and it's the axle or CV joint, don't think you should take it on yourself. I think the axle is press fitted to the bearings...not sure about the joint. Do you know a place that will get your PT up in the air so the wheels can spin at speed? Most places will give you a free check hoping to get your money to fix the problem. At least you can hopefully pinpoint the noise.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Dec 2004, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Reminds me of my $500 pothole last year...
I would take it to a good shop (dealer if you trust them) and find out for sure what it is.
Bummer.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Dec 2004, 10:09 am
Senior Cruiser

King, some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 07 Dec 2004, 03:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

The shop idea is good, but Im not sure about them driving it while on the lift not sure about that.

Yeah my luck with holes in the rode or what. I thought is was the fresh black topped area one street up instead it was a big hole.

Bigdaddog, you know I was just kidding right?
This is only the 3 time the front has gotten damaged and only 1 time was I able to actually see what caused it.
Old 07 Dec 2004, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KingKole02

The shop idea is good but Im not sure about them driving in while on the lift not sure about that.
Colby,

What I meant was to find a lift that lifted the PT by the jacking points under the frame that wouldn't hinder the movement of the wheels. You go up on the lift with the car and when it's up in the air you start it and go thru the gears up to the speed where the noise is, and the mechanic would be down below looking and listening for the noise.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Dec 2004, 03:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin, I understood perfectly the first time you explained it. My typing skills have gone caput. I was thinking of shops in my area I have been in and around and can't remember any that had the capabilities to lift it like I need it to be. I could lift it myself on jackstand but aren't sure how well they will work under the stress of a running vehicle.