Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AIRAID Noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2001, 07:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default AIRAID Noise

Just installed an AIRAID intake,while it does seem to increase power a little and improves throttle response - it is LOUD! Does anybody out there have any ideas on how to quiet it down a little and still keep most of the benefits?

I was thinking of wraping some rigid foam insulation around the box but I'm not sure how effective that will be.

Old 04 Nov 2001, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am using a K&N filter with a short tailpipe piece to set the filter into the lower stock factory air box (removed the top part). I wrapped some old mattress cover foam around my system and fitted a removable piece for a top covering, then painted it all black. Also used the foam as a support to anchor one end of a 2" flexible duct from behind the grille, to ram in a little more air. Seems to help, but does NOT eliminate the noise. After a while, it doesn't seem so loud, anyway!! And the power/performance/gas mileage increase is well worth a little noise!

Cruiserjim: 5 speed black Limited; ABS/4-whl discs; 17" wheels/tires; Progress sway bars and strut tower brace; H&R springs; Xenon bumper covers fr/rr; Bassani duals; home-made intake mod; lots of other goodies!

Edited by - cruiserjim on 11/04/2001 07:52:07

Edited by - cruiserjim on 11/07/2001 15:19:12
Old 23 Nov 2001, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

I already have installed a dual exhaust system, so the new sound after installing the AirAid was barely noticeable. So, there's the solution to the noise - put on some dualies!

Cruisin' with the Queen since 11/09/00