PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power steering issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2004, 08:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Power steering issues

Hey everyone,

I have a question on the power steering of my 2001 Limited 5-speed (obviously NA) My power steering pump(?) is making a squeeling noise when I turn. I know a usual senerio for this would ne no fluid, or low fluid, but the fluid level was fine when I checked. I dont think its the belt running the pump, becuase I think it would squeek all the time if that was the case. I did notice right after driving though, that there were bubles in the p/s fluid. I dont think this is a good thing, I thought p/s worked a LITTLE like the brake/clutch fluid, where bubbles are bad.

Could this be part of the p/s recall? I never recieved any recall notice, and the carfax when I bought the car last December showed no outstanding recall work needed (not sure if thats accurate of not).

Let me know what you think I should check. I am hoping it will be ok to drive home tomorrow, as I am finished for christmas, and I want to head home in the morning (~2+ hour drive).

Thanks for the help in advance!

Matt

[:I]
Old 17 Dec 2004, 09:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Is the steering sound a kind of whining? If it is, then the power steering pump is bad. Listen, the recall was not done if you brought the car last december. The power steering hose recall was announced the wednesday after memorial day weekend. I should know; my 2001 PT burned just days before the recall was announced. You need to get it done. Goto www.Chrysler.com and click on the for owners link. Goto the section about recalls and put in you VIN #. It will explain the recall, and you can print that out and take it to your dealership. I can not state this any stronger; GET IT DONE! Goto my website, and you can see why I plead with anyone involved with this recall to get it done!

Mike
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 17 Dec 2004, 09:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mike -

Thanks for the reply, and yes, the p/s pump is making a whinning type noise when I turn the wheel. Why did I pay more attention to the recall!?!? Is there any reason why Chrysler didnt send me a recall notice?? All the other cars I have owned and my parents have always gotten recall notices. Could it be that my info wasnt updated for some reason? I guess Chrysler wouldnt check with the DMV though either, so that could explain it. As I do most/all my mechanical work myself.

I'll check on the Chrysler website, and see what it comes up with. I will get my VIN number off the car in a few minutes. Thanks again for the reply! Sorry to hear about your car too! I know a few guys had a simalar thing happen to their 944 turbos, becuase of a fuel line. NO fun at all!

Thank again,
Matt

EDIT:

I just checked my VIN number on the Chrysler website, and it said "No Incomplete Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist" So my guess is my car doesnt qualify for the recall or something? My car does have a manual transmission, I cannot remember if it was just automatics or both.

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 17 Dec 2004, 10:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[?] Thank god! The recall was only for auto's since it power steering hoses rubbed against the auto trannies. I was assuming you had an auto. You're safe buddy. By the way, the whining happened in my 2001 PT before it burned. The dealer said the pump was bad internally and changed it. Whining went away.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

Old 17 Dec 2004, 10:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SuGamer

[?] Thank god! The recall was only for auto's since it power steering hoses rubbed against the auto trannies. I was assun\ming you had an auto. You're safe buddy. By the way, the whining happened in my 2001 PT before it burned. The dealer said the pump was bad internally and changed it. Whining went away.
Hey, any chance you know how much a p/s pump kit costs from Chrysler? Its a special order only at Autozone, so I was hoping chrysler might keep them in stock, but I dont think they would. I was afriad I might have to do some wrenching on it over break. I was hoping to actually have a break! hmmmm, maybe I can trade it on an a 2004/2005 GT? I dont think they will give me enough on trade in for me to afford one though [xx(] I guess I can always give it a try

Thanks again,
Matt

Past Mopars:
Old 17 Dec 2004, 10:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I don't recall home much the pump was; it was covered under warranty., but I think I heard him say something about it being a $180 part. They had it in stock, or got it very quickly. They replaced my power steering pump, rack, and rebuilt my auto tranny in about 5 or 6 days.

Old 17 Dec 2004, 11:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mike,

Thanks for the info on the dealership pricing. I'll check the dealer on my way home tomorrow. Maybe even look at a black 2005 GT they have in the online inventory

Matt

Past Mopars:
Old 17 Dec 2004, 11:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My power steering pump went after the warranty ran out. Luckaly I had an aftermarket warranty in effect at that time (it did belly-up later...but that's another story). I had to pay a $50 deductable and the warranty picked up $300. The pump went at about 40K. No warning, right in the middle of a turn.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 11:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by matt87951

Mike,

Thanks for the info on the dealership pricing. I'll check the dealer on my way home tomorrow. Maybe even look at a black 2005 GT they have in the online inventory

Matt
Cool! Mine is a 2004 Black GT with chrome accent package. I loved my 2001 PT, but I'm in love with my GT! I have 2 children, my daughter and my GT! []

Old 18 Dec 2004, 12:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

My power steering pump went after the warranty ran out. Luckaly I had an aftermarket warranty in effect at that time (it did belly-up later...but that's another story). I had to pay a $50 deductable and the warranty picked up $300. The pump went at about 40K. No warning, right in the middle of a turn.
[:0] $350! Sometimes I think the dealerships up the prices when it's warranty work, that way they can make up what they lose. WOW!