Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Unknown RPM surge problem (manual)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2004, 06:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Unknown RPM surge problem (manual)

I have a 2001 manual and I notice this problem yesterday. I had my AC oto defrost. The AC work at time but at times didnt do it's defrosting at all the it got real humid inside to a point that I couldn't see a thing out the windshield.

BUT the real problem I notice is at during that time the engine got real noisy like someones pressing on the gas in neutral which I wasn't I was at a ful stop. Also after that incident I notice that everytime I release the gas padel RPM surge 500 to 1000 before it drop. It's really strange. Isn't the RPM suppost to drop the moment I release the gas?

At this point it's not really that but of a deal but I have a bad feeling about this. Could it be the clutch wearing out? or is it a enegine problem? or maybe just electrical problem? I really don't know but this is not the 1st and I help some of you know the problem and can help out

Thanks
Old 25 Dec 2004, 07:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

Start with the Idle Air Control motor or IAC. Since yours is a 2001, I assume that you have quite a few miles on it. It may just be dirty and need a servicing. Easy way to check is take off the tubing to the throttle body and look at the throttle blade. If the blade and the throttle bore are dirty, chances are the IAC motor is all boogered up too. If that is clean, then I would take it to a Five Star Dealer. I would be doubtful a clutch is worn out.
You may have a leak in your AC, probably the evaporater. I've done a couple of those.
Keep us updated.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 25 Dec 2004, 02:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Try 2 things: Check to see if you have any trouble codes and what they might indicate. Do a word search on here for "computer codes" to learn how. If you have any, write them down, let us know and we can tell you what they are all about.
Also try running your defrost and air conditioning through all the settings both at idle and under power on the road. See what causes what to happen when.
Most of all, don't worry. Usually it's something simple.
Old 25 Dec 2004, 04:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ctown

I have a 2001 manual and I notice this problem yesterday. I had my AC oto defrost. The AC work at time but at times didnt do it's defrosting at all the it got real humid inside to a point that I couldn't see a thing out the windshield.

BUT the real problem I notice is at during that time the engine got real noisy like someones pressing on the gas in neutral which I wasn't I was at a ful stop. Also after that incident I notice that everytime I release the gas padel RPM surge 500 to 1000 before it drop. It's really strange. Isn't the RPM suppost to drop the moment I release the gas?

At this point it's not really that but of a deal but I have a bad feeling about this. Could it be the clutch wearing out? or is it a enegine problem? or maybe just electrical problem? I really don't know but this is not the 1st and I help some of you know the problem and can help out

Thanks
Since you have a stick shift, the momentary rise then drop in rpms is normal. It's part of the effort to control emissions. It's been around since the mid 70's. Before you could defeat/control the rise in rpms by adjusting the dashpot, now it's impossible since everything is computer controlled. It is most noticable when the weather is cold. I wouldn't worry about it unless it stayed at a higher rpm and doesn't drop back down to normal within a reasonable amount of time.

As far as your defroster, try different settings, closed or cabin recirculation, then the outside/fresh air settings and see if one of them makes a difference (usually the former). There also may be a dirt or dust film on the inside of your windshield/interior glass that needs to be cleaned off before you can have a faster or more effective defrosting.
Old 26 Dec 2004, 08:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

I jack up the car and check for everything. Beside a broken ground cable which I fix and a wet steering hose + several broken bushing nothing seems to be really wrong with the car.

I also check for the error code and all I got was a " no faules" message