Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cams, cam gears??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2005, 09:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Default cams, cam gears??

Actually I am just looking as to how big of a project is this? Im hoping that the people who installed crane #10 cams on their N/A's can tell me how much they had their cams installed for. While on the subject, will different cam gears do anything power wise on stock cams? Also, if I get new cams installed, should I go with different valve springs? I think mopar valve springs are $6 each which totals $96 plus tax and shipping. Will new valve springs do any more for performace if I left everything else alone? Or do the valve springs complement the cams? I have around $600 now to blow. Am I close to the projected costs?
Old 08 Jan 2005, 04:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

cams are like $400 + install
the install is difficult, engine must be unbolted and jacked up, front and rear (passenger/driver) side covers of engine must be taken off. with the new springs the cams will try and move when doing the timing. not something i would attempt in my driveway.
the springs just close the valves faster to avoid what is called valve float. no performance gains from just a spring change.
cam gears will move the power up or down in the rev range. so you may get more power but youll need to keep the revs above 3000 to see any of it.
unfortunately it will cost more than 600.

maybe a Nitrous express kit designed specifically for the PT or keep saving for the turbo?
Old 08 Jan 2005, 06:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks RallyD

I knew I didnt enough anyway, but all that is bugging me is labor prices. From what you were desribing, it sounds like the $400 cams plus new springs + labor, would be around half the price of the Hahn turbo. Im sure I could save up enough money by summer (only working weekends due to school.) Also, since summers here in So Cal reach around 95-105 degrees, how bad would it be not to have an intercooler? Should I just save up enough to purchase the stage 2 for that specific reason?
Just out of curiousity, if anyone knows? What kind of numbers should I be able to put down with new cams? Does anybody with an N/A out there with upgraded cams and such have any dyno results?

Thanks
\'01 Cranberry PT Touring 5spd, 17\"BBS YZ Rims, 2-10\" Polk Momo Subs, Infinity speakers all around, Sirius Satellite Radio, Valentine One Radar Detector, lowered with Eibach Pro-Kit, BTG strutbar,K&N FIPK intake, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Blllet Aluminum Grille, 5% tinted windows all around, B&M Short Shifter w/Booger Bushings. Interior & Exterior Red Underglow. $55 in the gas tank (5-8-06)

Old 08 Jan 2005, 10:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I had crane -10 cams installed on my '01 which was a 5-speed. Never dyno'd car but it ran great compared to stock . Plenty power down low all to way to rev limit, and very noticable on highway both in passing performance/ climmbing hills in that down-shifting was no longer necessary . I also had header,air-aide intake,crane ignition and bassani axle back exhaust. Cams were in a kit including crane springs . Install done professionally . That's the positive ! The negatives were as followed : the cam tensioner let go after 250 miles and bent all my exhaust valves, and shredded the new timing belt. The installer replaced all parts. Then 2500 miles later the car jumped time and I had to take it back again . After that , I really no longer "trusted " the car and traded it for a GT . I talked with crane and others about this general consensus was perhaps the springs were too strong . I know another person running -10 cams without crane springs in a hahn turbo without issues . Biggest tip I can offer is get an upgraded cam tensioner if you do it .
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 09 Jan 2005, 06:13 pm
Young Cruiser

May I ask you how much that whole set up costed you? I am basically using this info on labor costs, which is the only thing holding me back right now. Thank you.
\'01 Cranberry PT Touring 5spd, 17\"BBS YZ Rims, 2-10\" Polk Momo Subs, Infinity speakers all around, Sirius Satellite Radio, Valentine One Radar Detector, lowered with Eibach Pro-Kit, BTG strutbar,K&N FIPK intake, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Blllet Aluminum Grille, 5% tinted windows all around, B&M Short Shifter w/Booger Bushings. Interior & Exterior Red Underglow. $55 in the gas tank (5-8-06)

Old 09 Jan 2005, 06:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

prox,
maybe cams would be your best bet. arent the inspections tough in cali. i dont think the hahn is carb approved, only the whimple and jackson
Old 09 Jan 2005, 08:46 pm
Young Cruiser

I honestly had the question on my mind about Hahn being CARB certified. Inspections seem to be really tough in California. I am going to talk to a mechanic at the shop I go to, to see what kind of labor charges he can do in his own garage, to see how much cheaper the labor is at a private party rate. I know that I don't make myself clear, and I sometimes do not make sense. I will see if I can offer him about $500 or so to put in
new cams.

Old 09 Jan 2005, 10:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok here's my costs from back in '02 parts: $2420.00 ($1250 for Crane kit which was -10 cams/springs,ignition,plug wires,cam sprockets),heddman header $295, power-aide $95, airaid $149, 3gauge pod $59, 3 gauges $177, $395 bassani axle -back. Labor $616.00 . Some costs have probably come down, others may have gone up, the power-aid was virtually worthless . Seems like a lot now... but supercharging was more and so was hahn kit .....then .
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 10 Jan 2005, 08:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

I got my Crane-10 cams used from powertrip for $200 used. .Crane gears were $275. New tim belt $40. Upgraded tensioner $300 this is a must the ones in the car are crap. I used stock springs but had them shimmed. I would only use stock springs with -10 not-12or-14. I dont know what the install would be as I had my whole motor done. I do feel this is the one biggest improvement you can make on a non blown car. My car had motor and turbo done at same time so when I got it back and hit the pedal it was like wow. I did get a chance to ride in Flashbacks car before and after and it was a big difference.

Old 10 Jan 2005, 10:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

I would prolly do pistons and rods before i did cams. If you get em from Bob Stockum, theyre pretty cheap. This leaves the door open for nitrous and higher pounds of boost.
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)