Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Passenger side grinding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2005, 03:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Passenger side grinding

Finally got someone who knows what my problem is. Turns out the dealer found it to be a cracked motor mount. Has anyone else had one of these break?

Where would I look to find one located in the engine bay?
Old 11 Jan 2005, 04:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

You did have the accident a few months back. Could it be related?
Old 11 Jan 2005, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigdogdad

I would think that's a strong possibility....

They do go bad, but kinda like the bushings, wear out - I'd say ask dealer's opinion.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Jan 2005, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigdogdad

I would think that's a strong possibility....

They do go bad, but kinda like the bushings, wear out - I'd say ask dealer's opinion.
If I was KingKole2 I'd go back to who ever repaired the car and point it out to them. The insurance should cover it. Motor mounts normally do NOT wear out, they must be stressed somehow.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 06:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well I like the work the shop did, can't tell you had an accident, unless you look for the emblems on the sides which one is missing.

No I don't think the motor mount could have been damage from the accident, good possibility but I don't think that thats what caused it. It was passenger side not drivers, I have the accident on the drivers side, course it could have the opposite effect. Hit on side damage the other sort of thing.

I think this goes back to when I hit the dip in the road and then the pot hole/drop off. After the Pt was repaired it drove fine, it was the road construction companies fault for living a gapping hole in the rode in the first place, which hit the frame knocking my radio out for a few seconds. I think that accident may have decreased the wear limit on the mount but not completely kill.

I know many of you on here have mentioned something about cracked/broken mounts before. Maybe the engine has too much torque or weight for its own good, haha, yeah right.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 08:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

The motor mounts can wear out. They have a heck of a job to do. Support the engine/transaxle, provide cushioning for smooth acceleration and decel, insulate the vibrations and handle manufacturer tolerances. There are computer-controlled fluid-filled mounts out there. A plain rubber (with a bunch of engineering for the proper flex) bushing will tire over time. An accident can cause stresses that will ruin a mount. If the accident was a 2.5G stop (pretty minor) and the engine/trans weighs 600 pounds, well you do the math...

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 13 Jan 2005, 04:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Got it replaced today, it was the upper mount passengers side.
How involving is it to change? Just curious.