Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Strut Tower Bar question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2005, 04:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Strut Tower Bar question

I've heard that strut bars improve performance in cornering and handling. But is it also true that they transfer driving stresses to other parts of the car that can't handle it and may fail? Has anyone heard of this occurance? Are there warranty issues involved in installing a strut? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What you've heard about the improved performance in cornering and handling is true. If you like to drive hard and take corners at a faster than normal pace, it's well worth the money. Does it put stress on other parts and cause failure...not that I've heard on any of the forums and I've had mine on for about 60K without a problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 07:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

You must have heard that from a tech or someone from the dealer ship right? Because that sounds like something they would tell you.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 09:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have had a strut bar for over a year. Tightens up the "sway", but noes NOT put any additional strain on any other parts that I can tell.
'02 PT
Old 13 Jan 2005, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It keeps body flex down, so that's a good thing. The only concern is when installing the bar, not to torque the nuts on the strut too much.
I have heard of zero problems other than install-related.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jan 2005, 11:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll invest in a torque wrench along with the strut bar, but you've convinced me that it's the way to go. Now to choose the right strut tower bar...

[8)] Cruise on!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 04:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

I wanted to get one, and I saw some made by APC in Advace Auto parts. They only ones they had in stock were for Hondas, and they were $30. So I asked what it wou tldake to order one, and they said 1 week and almost $70 [:0] I asked them why twice as much as the others and they just told me "Because it's a special order" So I walked out. I should call the local ricer-shop down the road, but their prices are outrageous.

Old 13 Jan 2005, 04:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

A good bar that was easy to insatll & not very expensive is the Freedom Designs model. I payed about $80 for mine when I bought it for my 01 LE over 2 years ago.
The difference was noticed on the 1st corner I took after it was installed. I plan on getting another one for my GT.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 12:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have the Freedom Design from R&S and I, too, noticed much better feel and control on curves and turns. And the steering wheel stopped jerking back coming out of turns.

Old 14 Jan 2005, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Konkeler

I wanted to get one, and I saw some made by APC in Advace Auto parts. They only ones they had in stock were for Hondas, and they were $30. So I asked what it wou tldake to order one, and they said 1 week and almost $70 [:0] I asked them why twice as much as the others and they just told me "Because it's a special order" So I walked out. I should call the local ricer-shop down the road, but their prices are outrageous.
Just as well. Some folks have reported the APC bar hit the hood (others had no problems) so tolerances don't seem good. Heard of no grief with Freedom designs...
The $70 isn't out of line..
http://www.revelenterprises.com/pt_c...trut_tower.htm

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles