Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
motor question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2005, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default motor question

I have a 2001 pt that i blew the motor in. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if i can put a gt turbo motor in out of one of the newer pt's and what all would i have to get to change it over as far as computer and stuff like that any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 12 Jan 2005, 10:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

From what I've read on the Turbo forums, you're better off just getting a turbo PT, instead of going thorugh all of the effort of putting a turbo engine into a N/A PT. You're even better off installing a turbo into a N/A PT, you just can't boost it as high as an HO engine. My 2 cents.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=10693
Old 13 Jan 2005, 08:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
Yeah, it's possible, but you'd need all the electronics and appropriate wiring harness to go along. Depending on what went, you may be better off rebuilding the bottom end of the blown one and adding an aftermarket turbo.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jan 2005, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm not sure what all went in the motor. I haven't tore the motor apart yet i have a whipple supercharger on it right now and i took the spark plugs out and two of the electrodes were broke off on them. the motor only had 16'000 miles on it. she shut right down on me and left a trail of oil so i don't think it's going to look good when i tear it down. I probably have only put 10'000 miles on it since i put the supercharger on. I hate to not fix it back up as i have quite a bit of money into it to just get rid of it now. thanks for the replies. so are you saying that i have to change the computer and everything else to do this job.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 10:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

yes in 2003 when the turbos came out chrysler changed the wiring harness almost completely. You would need many many things. You should email Bob Stockum and have him build you a motor that will be faster and stronger than a GT.
I think you threw a rod and put a window in the motor. Bob did that too so you guys have something in common.
bstockum.com
Old 14 Jan 2005, 06:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cruisercrazy

I'm not sure what all went in the motor. i have a whipple supercharger on it right now and i took the spark plugs out and two of the electrodes were broke off on them....she shut right down on me and left a trail of oil ... I probably have only put 10'000 miles on it since i put the supercharger on.
Wow.

There but for the grace of a sudden family emergency goes me...

I was all set to Wipplecharge my beasty when i had to use the 'mod' money elsewhere.

I think maybe I'll be staying NA and slow for a while.
[V]
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 14 Jan 2005, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the info. could one of you give me bob stockum's email address so i could contact him. I would appreciate it thanks
Old 15 Jan 2005, 01:13 am
Cool Cruiser

sent you a e-mail. BTW, you might be able to buy a used block from a scrap yard or used auto parts dealer. I have seen them go as cheap as $750 on Ebay & lot's more too. Best place to look would be salvage car dealers... find one with a PT that got rear ended.

Broken spark plugs don't sound good. sounds like rods came apart & piston slamed into top of head. Your head might be damaged also.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the email address gr8flpt sent him a email just waiting to get a response now. I been checking on a gt turbo motor. I found 1 in the scrap yard with only 7000 miles on it for $2'000 which i didn't think was to bad considering the price that some of them are asking for them. so i'm just going to see what bob has to say and go from there. I told him i could always sell the whipple and go a different route if i have to. I'm sure somebody out there wouldn't mine getting a good deal on a whipple. catch you all later.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 03:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

I call a huddle...
I just had a new thought on this. We have seen the many post about the many problems facing anybody switching a turbo motor into a base PT. What about taking just the block and head from the GT with the stronger and lower compression internals and using the supercharger that he already has. Not use the turbo. Does anyone think that this might work? [:I]
If it did work, he could play around with the pullys to bring the boost up close to the GT and still be safe.