PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I think I'm having a power steering problem!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2005, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I think I'm having a power steering problem!

Parked my car here in Central New York the other night around midnight and the car was fine. Got in it and drove about 7 hours later and now im having problems steering. its VERY difficult to turn the wheel (i literally have to pull the wheel using both hands, pputting all my weight into it. Takes me about 5 minutes to just pull out of a parking space now becuase of the lack of rotating the wheel will make (and lack of strength on my part). Anyone know what the problem might be? Its been down to single digit temps here recently. Maybe that would have a problem? I added some power steering fluid yesterday, but today I'm still having the same problem. Brother said it might be a bad power steering pump? Anyone know if a bad one would cause the results Im having? I have no clue about cars, so maybe I'm describing a common problem. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Also, thers just under 20000 miles on my PT. If I just brought it into a Chrysler dealer, can they tell me if this problem is covered under my warranty?
Old 16 Jan 2005, 05:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You didn't say what year your PT is so it's hard to tell if your still under warranty. My power steering pump went without any warning at about 40K. I went into a turn using my casual one handed turn style and found the wheel wouldn't turn, had to use all my strength to get it to turn before hitting the center island. Just to get you set, without warranty, it's about $300 to get a new one installed at the dealer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 10:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Did you check the belt? The power steering pump and the AC compressor run off the same belt.

SRG
Old 17 Jan 2005, 10:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It is either the pump or the belt. Hopefully it is only the belt. That belt runs everything, A/C compressor, Alternator and Power Steering pump. Seems funny that it would be the belt tho. When was the last time you had the oil changed, at a full service place they check everything, belt included.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 12:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

only ps/ac.
alt is on its own belt
w/p is cam driven
Old 18 Jan 2005, 01:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RallyDRock

only ps/ac.
alt is on its own belt