Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
squeaking...."bushing" problem??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2005, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default squeaking...."bushing" problem??

I took my 2002 PT to the dealer again today to see about a squeaking/rubbing noise that sounds like it's coming from the front driverside wheel. I just had it in 9 days ago for replaceing the power steering pump, power steering gear assembly, steering oil cooler equipped, solenoid assembly-transaxle, solenoid valve body, thermostat and gasket and coolant.
The service manager said he "guessed" it might be a "bushing".
What is that and do you think that would be covered under my extended warranty (Limited power train/ certified maximum car are the plan codes for the ext. warranty 8yr/80K)
Thanks
Ronda
Old 29 Jan 2005, 01:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Bushings are rubber parts that insulate parts of the suspension from each other. If they are worn, or defective,the moving parts of the suspension will squeek. If you have the Chrysler extended warranty, that I have, yes they will be covered. Whatever the extended warranty you have, Chrysler or other, it will be spelled out what parts are covered in the warranty document. Of course, if you have under 36 thousand miles on the car, and is less than 3 years in service, the basic warranty will cover the work, without any deductable.

Did the dealer change all those parts because of the noise? Or were there other problems? The reason I asked is because I've just had my 2002 in for service, and had to have both the power steering gear and the solenoid assembly on the transmission(transaxle)replaced because they were both leaking. The repairs would have cost $750, if it wasn't for the extended warranty. And that $750, from what I understand is heavily discounted by Chrysler, so if Chrysler didn't have to pay for it, the cost would have been much higher.

How many miles do you have on the car?

SRG
Old 30 Jan 2005, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have 60,800 miles on it. The repairs that they did previously were due to 2 things. I had noticed a leak on the garage floor for a couple of months, near where the front driverside wheel would be, and it did not feel oily. I started hearing a rubbing/squeaking noise when I'd turn my wheels, but for some reason only on cold days, so I left it there for them to do a cold start, and all of those repairs I listed are what they found wrong with it.

I take it in again Monday, so I'll keep you posted as to what they find.
Thanks for the info.
Ronda
Old 30 Jan 2005, 05:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

From your description, it sounds more like you had a problem with your power steering pump and/or belt. A bushing squeek would sound off when the suspension is moving up and down.
What you had done should be covered by your warranty. Read the fine print to see what the "limits" are.
Old 30 Jan 2005, 05:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hmmm, 2 2002's, at close to the same mileage, with the same leak in both the power steering gear and transmission solenoid packs. This isn't good..... anyone else??

SRG
Old 03 Feb 2005, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, hopefully this is the end of the "squeak" problem. They kept it for 2 nights, trying to duplicate the noise (that the service manager guessed might be a bushing), and it wouldn't do it in the morning but did in the afternoon (???) Anyway, they said they lubed all of it and still the squeak was there. I don't know why, but he decided to take off the driver side door panel and found a "check cover" that was loose/off and everytime I turned a certain way, the squeak/rubbing noise was there.
It cost $75 (not covered by extended warranty), but I would have paid a $50 deductible anyway.
Maybe I'm done with repairs for another 20K miles (til my warranty runs out)
Old 04 Feb 2005, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SRG

Hmmm, 2 2002's, at close to the same mileage, with the same leak in both the power steering gear and transmission solenoid packs. This isn't good..... anyone else??
SRG
I have a 2002 with 82,000 + miles now. I had a miss between 20 & 30,000 miles that Cranes wires cured (permanently, plugs didn't help).
I took it in recently because after hitting a pothole that was bad enough to crack an alloy wheel, the car didn't feel right. I had a 4-wheel alignment done and they found I had a broken sway bar! Can't happen on new PTs - no sway bar!
Other than that, and a suicidal deer, have had no problems. Has just begun to use some oil.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles