Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New problem, high rpm, HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2005, 04:46 am
Young Cruiser

Default New problem, high rpm, HELP

I put new wires and the screamin' demon coil in way back in June 04'. Didn't get a chance to do the plugs ... another long story... SO I put the new spark plugs in Saturday. The PT ran great for a couple days. Now when I slow down to about 5-10 mph, it stalls. The old spark plugs were gapped at .055, I gapped the new ones to .040, I think thats it. I am going to regap them to .045. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Thanks,
joe
Old 09 Feb 2005, 09:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No error codes? Does it idle okay? Sure you put back everything when you took off the manifold to do the plugs? Can't believe gapping the plugs would cause that. Same type plugs? Heat range?
Strange.[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Feb 2005, 11:58 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

yeah, me thinks it's the plugs. Turbo's need a smaller gap, but DC recommends n/a cruisers use .045. [:I]
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 09 Feb 2005, 01:37 pm
Young Cruiser

No error codes, I checked everything to make sure it was back together right. Today I didn't have a problem, it would seem the computer ajusted. when it was stalling.. it wouldn't idle right, it would stall. Today its been fine. I am going out now to regap them to .045.
02\' Patriot Blue Cruiser, dual cat back exhaust, blue under car lights, airaid cold air intake, throttle body spacer and custom sound system.*Xenon front bumper (crusher), polished aluminum gas door.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:26 am
Young Cruiser

Now I have a new problem. the idle speed is about 2000-2200rpm when in park. I put it in gear, it goes down to 1500rpm. The longer it sits in park, the rpms will slowly drop to 1200rpm. This just started last night after I regaped the plugs. There is good news, the stalling has stopped! But now what do I do? The transmition light (I think thats the light) came on today, not good. HELP! I am in germany so its not so easy to find help here.[:I][xx(]
02\' Patriot Blue Cruiser, dual cat back exhaust, blue under car lights, airaid cold air intake, throttle body spacer and custom sound system.*Xenon front bumper (crusher), polished aluminum gas door.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 10:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I can't believe plug gap (relatively minor adjustment of gap, anyway) could be causing your grief. You now should have some error code(s) if you got a light. Post the codes.
[:I]
Old 10 Feb 2005, 11:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

If the tranny light came on, did you check your tranny fluid level? It might just end up being a sensor. Idle speed sensor? Don't think it's the tranny solinoid (sp?) pack since it's not shifting eratic.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 10 Feb 2005, 12:53 pm
Young Cruiser

a friend told me to unplug the battery to reset the computer. I don't know what else to try. I have to agree, I think its a sensor. Its odd though, the first time I did all this, after a couple days the car returned to normal. After driving a lot last night and again today, slowly its fixing itself... I think my PT is alive. LOL, I do talk to it (joking). I will reset the car tonight, and give it until around saturday before I have it checked out.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 06:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Gap won't do it. The PT is alive and disconnecting the negative on the battery for a few minutes will have the PCM reset. It will take a few days to get to "Normal."
If the PT was in Hawaii and is now in Germany it may be trying to tell you it's home sick! [)]
Good luck, and while your there [^]

John
Old 10 Feb 2005, 11:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The high idle speed is more than likely caused by a vacum leak.Most likely you probably forgot to hook up a vacum hose. This will also cause the Check Engine light to come because the engine is now running too lean. Check all your vacum hoses and electrical connectors on the intake manifold.