Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Platinum Plugs - Must change timing??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2005, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Platinum Plugs - Must change timing??

Somewhere I read that if you install platinum plugs you must change the engine timing. The rational was that the spark was impressed farther into the chamber (closer to the piston) and therefore the timing had to be changed.
Anyone know the truth to this question?????

Thanks, Bernie
Old 15 Feb 2005, 11:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

uhhhhh no!!! no need to change the timing. i guess maybe you could if you wanted to keep the car running exactly as it was initially. but part of the idea of the platinums is the performance gain.
IMHO of course.
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 16 Feb 2005, 01:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bnorth

Somewhere I read that if you install platinum plugs you must change the engine timing. The rational was that the spark was impressed farther into the chamber (closer to the piston) and therefore the timing had to be changed.
Anyone know the truth to this question?????

Thanks, Bernie
No, no, no! Who told you that?? The idea behind platinum plugs is to have a better spark and smoother idle. Besides, whoever told you that failed to mention that you can't adjust the timing; it's controlled by the PCM, unless you go with an independant ignition system. I did read however, that the double platinum plugs are not recommended for the turbos.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 16 Feb 2005, 01:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Iridium is the latest and greatest material for plugs. And I was told no platinum in turbos period single or double. Copper or Iridium and I went with the later![8)]
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nope - not if you stick with compatible plugs - plugs made for the PT.
The reach is the same, just differs in metal content.
How would you change the timing anyway???
There are some plugs that people put in that aren't made for the PT - I choose not to - the other plugs may have different reach.
Champion makes a platinum plug made for the PT.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Jun 2007, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Platinum Plugs - Must change timing??

I initially tried platinums in my 03 GT - it seemed the car accelerated faster and I lost 2-3 MPG on both end.

Swithed back to stock and got my mileage back.

I just put Iridiums at 52K - so far they seem to be very smooth. I'll have mileage in a week.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi there! New to the forums, but I figured my 2 cents might help. I just changed my plugs a week ago, went from regular Champion copper plugs to NGK Iridiums. I can't say if my mileage went up, but it idles a little smoother and seems to have a tad better pickup. 7 bucks a pop, but think it's worth it. I got them through Summit.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Many of us went to Champion 7440 gapped at .040 and performance wires, I did at 500 miles. Cleared up my "hesitation".

BTW: Welcome to the forum:

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Jul 2007, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just did my first tune-up at 20K, installed the crane wires, bosch platinum 4's and a K&N drop in filter. We drove it up to Block Buster and noticed a much improved idle and acceleration. Whole tune-up cost just over a C-note.
Clay and Kimberly

05 PT Non Turbo Dark Plum, Crane Firewires, Bosch Platinum 4's and K&N Drop in.
72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus, Street/Strip.
64 Chrysler New Yorker, 54K original Highway

Last edited by PlumCrazyMonkey; 24 Jul 2007 at 02:29 am.