Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Emergency Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2005, 11:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Emergency Brake

Does the Emergency/Parking brake engage any braking to the front wheels of the PT? I always thought so, but when I had the car on jack stands i could spin the front wheels by hand and of course could not with the back. I want to do more tray drifting, but just had a brake job done in the front and do not wish to wear down the brakes.
Thanks
Old 15 Feb 2005, 11:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

NO.
Only the rear brakes engage.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 01:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

No car that I heard of uses the front brakes with the parking/emergency brake. I maybe wrong, but definately not about the Cruisers.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 16 Feb 2005, 02:01 am
Young Cruiser

Thank you both!
\'01 Cranberry PT Touring 5spd, 17\"BBS YZ Rims, 2-10\" Polk Momo Subs, Infinity speakers all around, Sirius Satellite Radio, Valentine One Radar Detector, lowered with Eibach Pro-Kit, BTG strutbar,K&N FIPK intake, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Blllet Aluminum Grille, 5% tinted windows all around, B&M Short Shifter w/Booger Bushings. Interior & Exterior Red Underglow. $55 in the gas tank (5-8-06)

Old 16 Feb 2005, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

For some reason, e-brake is always drum, and always on rear. Even if you have disks in rear, there's a small drum brake on the hub that is just for the e-brake.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Feb 2005, 09:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

For some reason, e-brake is always drum, and always on rear. Even if you have disks in rear, there's a small drum brake on the hub that is just for the e-brake.
Mainly because a mechanical, cable operated handbrake applies force by pulling, hydraulic (foot) brakes apply force by pushing.

It is less expensive, and less complicated, to add a mini drum brake than to add the levers, springs, etc that would be needed to attach the parking brake cable to the disk brakes.

BTW: In an emergency... if you have lost both hydraulic braking circuits; about all the handbrake is going to do is lock the rear wheels and spin you out.

It is fun to do this on purpose on an icy road... the only way to get an FWD to do a bootleggers turn...

(go out and practice on a slippery parking lot... it's fun... and when the cops ask tell them you are 'practicing skid recovery', for safety)
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 20 Feb 2005, 11:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

e-brake slides are a lot of fun. I used to do it alot but now i dont because i dont want to wear my rear tread. you have to really pull the ebrake hard to get it to lock and turn the wheel sharp when going at a kinda high speed. just be careful not to roll the car.
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)
Old 21 Feb 2005, 01:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TaylorMade

e-brake slides are a lot of fun. I used to do it alot but now i dont because i dont want to wear my rear tread. you have to really pull the ebrake hard to get it to lock and turn the wheel sharp when going at a kinda high speed. just be careful not to roll the car.
LOL! I was doing that the winter in the snow, and also in the rain. Scared the crap out of my friend and my daughter! Now, my daughter thinks it's cool! [][8)]
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 21 Feb 2005, 12:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Yeah its fin to do. All I really do is put the plastic fast food trays underneath the back wheels and set the ebrake. Doesn't last for too long, but at least I can save my tread and still have tons of fun. So. Cal is getting pounded with rain now, I would try some ebrake slides but my power steering went out yesterday. My tires are bald too.
\'01 Cranberry PT Touring 5spd, 17\"BBS YZ Rims, 2-10\" Polk Momo Subs, Infinity speakers all around, Sirius Satellite Radio, Valentine One Radar Detector, lowered with Eibach Pro-Kit, BTG strutbar,K&N FIPK intake, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Blllet Aluminum Grille, 5% tinted windows all around, B&M Short Shifter w/Booger Bushings. Interior & Exterior Red Underglow. $55 in the gas tank (5-8-06)