Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2005, 12:38 am
Young Cruiser

Default Power Steering

Lost power steering today. I wasnt driving, everything is OK no close calls or anything. Fluid is good, belt is good. I can only think of the problem being the pump. Anybody that has had this happen, how much did the repair cost? I know labor varies, but how much to pumps alone run for? Is it something that can be fixed by myself, or my $85 per hour mechanic?
Old 21 Feb 2005, 01:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When my Power Steering Pump blew it was covered under my aftermarket warranty but I had to pay a $50 deductable. The whole price from the dealer was $300. That was the pump, laber, fluids, recharging the air conditioning unit (the air conditioning lines had to be moved to get at the pump) and all the little extras the dealer tacts on.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 08:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

When my Power Steering Pump blew it was covered under my aftermarket warranty but I had to pay a $50 deductable. The whole price from the dealer was $300. That was the pump, laber, fluids, recharging the air conditioning unit (the air conditioning lines had to be moved to get at the pump) and all the little extras the dealer tacts on.
Crewzin -

Does the A/C line HAVE to be removed in order to change the PS pump? Or does it just make it easier? I might be doing this job myself over the next week, however I am a little apprehensive about pulling off A/C lines. There is a lot of pressure in there, not to mention I dont want to have to worry about getting a refill kit for it either.

Thanks,
Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 23 Feb 2005, 09:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Matt,

Here is my PT at the dealer for the power steering pump replacement.

When I took the pic, the lines for the air-conditioning recovery system were already hooked up and drawing the cold stuff out of the system. They actually unbolted the lines for the air-conditioning so I would think they needed to be moved. Did they have to do that? Can't really say, but they did and it was part of the charges they got out of my warranty company.

P.S. The mechanic only hand tightened the lines back on when he was finished and the wife and I ran out of cold air on the way up to Cruise The Falls in the middle of the summer.....but that's another story.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Mar 2005, 02:53 am
Young Cruiser

Well... pump does need to be replaced. The mechanic is saying that the front end of the car has to come apart to get to the pump and do metal shaping??? I honestly have no idea, I didnt get the whole story. All in all its around $700. I think I am getting ripped off.
\'01 Cranberry PT Touring 5spd, 17\"BBS YZ Rims, 2-10\" Polk Momo Subs, Infinity speakers all around, Sirius Satellite Radio, Valentine One Radar Detector, lowered with Eibach Pro-Kit, BTG strutbar,K&N FIPK intake, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Blllet Aluminum Grille, 5% tinted windows all around, B&M Short Shifter w/Booger Bushings. Interior & Exterior Red Underglow. $55 in the gas tank (5-8-06)

Old 02 Mar 2005, 10:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by proxeyed

All in all its around $700. I think I am getting ripped off.
I think so too. Apparently they don't know that everything can be reached from the front passenger wheel well. If my dealer only charged around $350 then others should be cheaper. Check with a Chrysler dealer in your area and other mechanics before you commit to the one that quoted that price.

Old 02 Mar 2005, 09:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by proxeyed

Well... pump does need to be replaced. The mechanic is saying that the front end of the car has to come apart to get to the pump and do metal shaping??? I honestly have no idea, I didnt get the whole story. All in all its around $700. I think I am getting ripped off.
Sounds to me like they really don't want to do it and if they do
they will make a bunch of money.Go some where else.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)