Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Brakes...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2005, 08:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default New Brakes...

Hey, I know this topic has been beaten to death on here, but I just have a few more questions that I didnt find answers to in the search I just did on old posts.

Basically, I need to start looking into getting new Brakes, the cars got about 56k miles, and pretty soon I'll need to be getting new brakes. I'd like to go with Drilled, and/or slotted rotors, and a good set of pads front and rear.

I've seen some rotors on ebay, but non of them say what brand the brakes are, so I am going to say I should keep away from those, right? Whats a good brand of rotors for a PT Cruiser? I havent bought anything maintanace wise for this car yet, so I am not very knoledgable on the options we have. I did my 87 944T with drilled rotors and new pads last summer, but I know that the maker for those rotors dont make PT cruiser rotors!

I'd like the same quality of rotors/pads that I have on the 944T, as afterall, brakes are one of the most important parts on our car, even though some poeple overlook brakes, Brakes should be first. If you make your car fast, and dont work on the brakes, you could be in trouble!

It doesnt look like I will be able to purchase any performance rotors at Autozone or that type of store am I right? So if someone could give me some advice as to what brands to look into, and maybe even some websites that would be great! One main issue I have against my OEM brakes is they rust SO fast, within a day of not driving, the rotors will be covered in rust, and most of the time the rotors rust TO the pads, and I have to rev the car a little higher they normal, just to get the rotors loose from the pads!

Thanks in advanced!

Matt

Old 23 Feb 2005, 09:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

I'm going with powerslot rotors and Raysebestos ceramic pads when my time comes
Old 24 Feb 2005, 09:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

MY OPINION.
Forget the drilled, slotted malarky unless you're autocrossing.
Go with the top-line NAPA rotors and ceramic pads (they have several choices of pads & rotors).
I've put nearly 84,000 miles on my PT and have never felt the brakes fade from heat (which is why you'd want drilled & slotted).
I have 4-wheel disk on my PT, and got the best of everything for all 4 corners (rotors & pads) for just under $300. The brakes are fantastic.
[?]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Feb 2005, 10:43 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree with Don,Go to Napa.
I too would stay away from the slotted rotors
you will have to replace pads sooner. IMHO

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 24 Feb 2005, 01:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

MY OPINION.
Forget the drilled, slotted malarky unless you're autocrossing.
Go with the top-line NAPA rotors and ceramic pads (they have several choices of pads & rotors).
I've put nearly 84,000 miles on my PT and have never felt the brakes fade from heat (which is why you'd want drilled & slotted).
I have 4-wheel disk on my PT, and got the best of everything for all 4 corners (rotors & pads) for just under $300. The brakes are fantastic.
[?]
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

I agree with Don,Go to Napa.
I too would stay away from the slotted rotors
you will have to replace pads sooner. IMHO

Thanks guys for the info - lets see if I cant get this post right this time. Last time it just put the reply from Don. But anyways, Have you had any problems with the rotors rusting? How are the pads for dusting? These are two main issues for me. But mainly the rotors rusting to the pads.

Thanks for the advice, and I think I will head to Napa and get these pads and rotors. $300 sounds a lot better to me for a full set, rather then close to $300 just for the front drilled/slotted rotors. Thanks again guys!

Matt

[^]

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 25 Feb 2005, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I think all rotors rust - at least, I've never had any that didn't.
The ceramic pads are great! NO DUST! I have no complaints whatsoever.
The costlier rotors are better steel. [?]
Old 27 Feb 2005, 03:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

I've had excellent results on my GT with StopTech slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, and StopTech stainless lines. Minimal brake dust and excellent pedal feel. I purchased them directly from StopTech.
[IMG]|2003 PT GT 5-Speed | Mopar Stage 1 | Mopar 2.5\" Dual Exhaust | Mopar Short-Throw Shifter | Mopar HO Plastic Intake | Mopar Boost Gauge | AGP WGA/BOP | APC Carbon Fiber Taillights | Axis 19x8 Wheels/Yokohama 225/35ZR19 Parada Spec2 Tires | BTG Strut Tower Brace | BTG Billet Shorty Antenna | Eibach Anti-Sway Bars | HKS SSQV BOV | JLM Motor/Tranny Mounts | KW Variant 1 Coilovers | Maxxfab 3\" Downpipe | NGK Iridiums | Prototypepower UCP/CAI v5 | PTeazer Smoothie Roll Pan | Screamin\' Demon Coil/Livewires | StopTech Slotted Rotors/Hawk HPS Pads/Stainless Steel Lines | Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley|
Old 27 Feb 2005, 11:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NAPOA Ceramic NA PT CMX 7716, absolutly NO dust in 500 miles between washes.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 11:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Slotted and cross drilled rotors are useless and more expensive for every day driving. It is total overkill. They are for real racing and autocross.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 01 Mar 2005, 12:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CruiserDan

hawk pads, brembo blanks

Dan

<font color=\"blue\">Patriot Blue</font id=\"blue\"> 02 5-Spd