PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
1st time pt owner w/exhaust question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2005, 03:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Moto man
Default 1st time pt owner w/exhaust question

Hello all. The site is a great source of info. Hoping I can get some updated opinions. Have an 03 GT in Black with Black centered 18's, BTG lowered springs, BTG C.A.I. and some cosmetic goodies. Got it breathing in really well, but it needs to exhale. Love the sound of the air intake. I keep waiting for the car to say, "Luke, I am your Father." Thinking about BTG duals or a cat back single. Maybe, a downpipe and a free flow cat. Should keep the cost down though.

BTW, this whole PT customizing thing is addicting. I'm beginning to have sympathy for crack heads.
Old 07 Mar 2005, 03:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

If you are thinking about a downpipe you will want to go to a 2 1/2" or 3" catback flow through exhaust. Borla (though spendy) is nice, Mopar and there are others. I have a 2 1/2" Heartthrob catback single flow through exhaust. A nice system for around $200. It has a nice sound.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 07 Mar 2005, 04:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Mean Green.
Hearing mixed review on whether or not I even need a cat back without Stage 1. My PT is certified pre-owned with 24,000 miles, so it has 7/70 warranty plus additional 1/10. Don't want to jeopardize that. Do you think an axle back single exhaust would offer any noticeable gains?
Old 07 Mar 2005, 05:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Unless you increase the size, I doubt you are going to see any significant change (other than sound) with the axle back OR the cat back. Going to a larger downpipe will make a difference and of course then you would need to change the cat and add a full 2-1/2" from the cat back. Single vs. dual will not hurt the performance.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 07 Mar 2005, 06:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

I agree with both the guys. I tend to like the MaxxFab downpipe with highflow cat (about $300), along with Mean Green's single Heartthrob or Borla dual catback exhausts. Don't worry, a larger exhaust won't void your waranty, and if you dealership says it does I'm sure any judge will say otherwise!
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 07 Mar 2005, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The BTG duals are worth it for the sound and looks, whether it increases performance or not.
I really doubt any real (measurable) performance gain, and a single will do as much, but the duals look and sound great.[?]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Mar 2005, 01:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Appreciate the help. Leaning towards the BTG duals. It's a good looking system, and PT Tuning is just a few miles from me. I ought buy stock in the company to help pay for some of my accessories. Every time I go there, I see something else I can't live without. Haven't felt that way about any other car.
Old 07 Mar 2005, 09:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Moto man, have you looked into a Flowmaster exhaust? They sell a dual system at a pretty good price. Take a look at www.flowmastermufflers.com and you can listen to the system they have for the PT. It sounds great. I have a single outlet Flowmaster system, and it has a nice low rumble at idle, and a good hum till about 3800 RPM and then it's almost like the exhaust cuts off and that cool intake noise picks up. I paid about $140 for my set up, installed. Definately take a look at Flowmaster if you want a good sound that has a good reputation. It doesn't have that super ricer "bees in a coffee can" sound.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 05:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Moto man

Appreciate the help. Leaning towards the BTG duals. It's a good looking system, and PT Tuning is just a few miles from me. I ought buy stock in the company to help pay for some of my accessories. Every time I go there, I see something else I can't live without. Haven't felt that way about any other car.
I feel the same way

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)