Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Clutch went bad after 2 weeks???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2005, 07:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default New Clutch went bad after 2 weeks???

I got my clutch replace 2 weeks ago but last night when I got home there was this burning smelling coming from nowhere under the hood. So i took it to the shop for inspection and they say the clutch could be bad and I have a bad feeling about the clutch cause it did feel different than the 1st few days. Also Chrysler wont take back clutch since this part falls down under brake pads.

The reason for the clutch problem was that I rev it too hi in 1st before engagement but HOW could that happen the thing is only 2 weeks old!

Could it be the clutch? me? or installation?
Old 11 Mar 2005, 09:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

It could be the clutch, you or the install.
If it was the clutch, it should be covered, and the shop should either eat the labor or get the clutch mfr. to cover it.
If it was you, you gotta get instruction BEFORE driving again. 2 weeks is crazy.
The "it feels different" part may indicate a bad install, but it would be tough to prove.
Weren't you involved with the Hand On The Turbo mess?

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 12 Mar 2005, 02:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by purple04

It could be the clutch, you or the install.
If it was the clutch, it should be covered, and the shop should either eat the labor or get the clutch mfr. to cover it.
If it was you, you gotta get instruction BEFORE driving again. 2 weeks is crazy.
The "it feels different" part may indicate a bad install, but it would be tough to prove.
Weren't you involved with the Hand On The Turbo mess?
My is NA no turbo and I never drive it that rough
Old 12 Mar 2005, 04:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

If I were you I would do some investigation on warranty and "fitness of merchantability" in your state. I am not an attorny, but there are minimum standards for repairs in most states that cannot be waived. 2 weeks on a clutch would not stand up in court. I would have it repaired and make my next stop small claims court if they give you a hard time. You should research the procedure in your area for this also. It was either a faulty part or faulty install. Either case it is not your fault.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 25 Sep 2009, 10:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: New Clutch went bad after 2 weeks???

Not you almost certainly. Clutch is unlikely. Pressure plate or flywheel possible but those should have been caught in the installation which is the most likely.

I would go back to the installer with a good attitude and ask a few questions. A reputible shop will likely work something out....
Old 25 Sep 2009, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MAL, this thread is from 2005, but your info is still relevant.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Sep 2009, 02:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yeah, I'm new to this forum and don't always check the dates. It really bothers me to do a search and find open ended posts such as this. When folks have a similar problem and do a search, they find nothing. Someone with a similar problem might learn a lot from the outcome of this; too bad we don't know what it was.
Somehow it is amusing to me to think of him sitting in front of his computer, cobwebs from the monitor to his chin, waiting for the silver bullet answer to his problem....

Last edited by Mal; 25 Sep 2009 at 02:05 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 03:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you're constantly taking off hot with your TCS on, you've glazed your flywheel, and since you have a Mopar clutch and it's a solid kit, you can't just take out the flywheel and have it resurfaced. I find it hard to believe that it could go bad in two weeks if something's not severely wrong. Mine lasted to 29k miles, and thats including time on the track and the dyno. It now slips like shit in 2nd and 3rd at WOT, but is holding good enough for a daily driver...for now.... and I beat the living piss out of it, so either you don't know how to use a clutch (no way), its' not properly installed or the clutch itself was bad at install. You sure they didn't slip in a used one???