Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT continues to run with key in off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2005, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT continues to run with key in off

My 2001 base-model PT Cruiser (automatic)will intermittently continue to run when the ignition switch is in the off positions w/the key removed. To get the car to stop I either have to pull a fuse or wait anywhere from five minutes to half an hour for the car to stop. Sometimes it doesn't stop and I just pull the fuse.
I've had it to the dealer three times. First time he replaced the battery terminals (which had corroded badly. What that had to do with anything I don't know. The second time he replace some electronic part associated with the ignitions switch. As I still use the original key I don't think he replaced the actual switch.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
Thanks.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 07:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

If the dealer is just going to throw parts at it (which is the only way if the problem doesn't happen when he's looking), try the ASD relay. This is just a guess, but that suplies power to the fuel pump and the computer. The ignition just triggers it. If the relay 'sticks', that can cause your symptom.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 14 Mar 2005, 08:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would think the obvious thing would be either relay Purple04 mentioned or the ignition switch itself.
Replaced battery terminals?? Yeah, that's related....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Mar 2005, 09:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

The dealer suspected the the corrosion on the batter terminals may have caused the battery to drain just enough to effect the computer. Sounds a bit fishy (more like taking a shot in the dark) but it needed to be done so ...
I think I have received better information here than at the dealer. I might check out an independent mech.