Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

PT turn signals (or lack of)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2005, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to dgranros
Default PT turn signals (or lack of)

I am a new PT owner (1 day). I bought a 2001 Limited with 26K. Great car and seems to run fine but on the way to work this am the turn signals stop working. The internal indicators don't work and the external turn signals don't work either. I was thinking it was a fuse but the owners manual is of about zero help. None, nada.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks
Donn Granros

Old 17 Mar 2005, 06:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Do your emergency flashers work? The turn signals get power from two sources. Don't know if it is the same on the '01 but on the '03 the emergency flashers get power from fuse 18 and the normal turn signals get power through fuse 15. If the flashers work in emergency flash mode, you can bet it is a fuse or the multifunction switch has gone south on you.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks Micheal. At least that provides a direction.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 09:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

There has been some chatter about the multi-function switch going bad. Hope it's just a fuse.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 18 Mar 2005, 07:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome-
Hey, someone beside me that uses signals? Seems at times most people don't - a pet peeve of mine...
Anyway -
Mike Day gave good advice - try 4-way - bet they'll work. Unfortunately, it's probably muti-function switch - several folks have had theirs go bad.
Use the search function on "multi-function switch" - seems you can replace it yourself.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Mar 2005, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

re: Turn signals. Thanks everyone for the input. Logically it did not seem reasonable that every turn signal light plus the internal blinkers would not work unless the system wasn't getting a signal to begin with. That certainly pointed to the switch as the emergency flashers worked fine. Indeed it was the m-f switch. I fiddled around with it a bit to check the dentents and functions and all of a sudden I had turn signals again. Just a heads up.

On an observational front re the PT. I sure love this car!! Wanted one for years and I couldn't be happier. Supposedly the non turbo automatic is terribly slow -seems ok for my needs. The RPM at cruise is similar to my Mercury Mystique 2.5 liter which gets 24-28mpg driving about 70% at freeway speeds so I expect mileage to be better than it's reputation too. I plan to be Cruising for quite a while. Again, thanks.

Donn Granros