Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Exhaust Manifold Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2005, 12:54 am
Young Cruiser

Default Exhaust Manifold Help

I am looking at changing out my exhaust system and I am not sure which exhaust manifold I should use. I am already planning on using the flow master dual exhaust cat back. If I am going to replace the exhaust, I am going to do it right. But what manifold is right?
Old 23 Mar 2005, 02:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Do you have a turbo or n/a? If you have a n/a, then I'd suggest the 4-2-1 header. If you have a turbo, forget about the manifold and leave it alone. No way to put the turbo on a header. Only way to change the manifold is with a turbo ungrade kit like Psi-Fi's. I would get a 3" down pipe from someone like MaxFab.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 23 Mar 2005, 03:27 am
Young Cruiser

For My N/A, if I did do a header I was thinking of a 4-1. I seem to find top end more useful as to keep up with someone on the freeway (for stupid example.) Is the 4-2-1 going to give me a better overall results in say a 0-60 run compared to a 4-1 header? I know 4-2-1 gives better low to mid range while 4-1 gives better mid to top end. Will a 4-2-1 hurt or help my current top end?
\'01 Cranberry PT Touring 5spd, 17\"BBS YZ Rims, 2-10\" Polk Momo Subs, Infinity speakers all around, Sirius Satellite Radio, Valentine One Radar Detector, lowered with Eibach Pro-Kit, BTG strutbar,K&N FIPK intake, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Blllet Aluminum Grille, 5% tinted windows all around, B&M Short Shifter w/Booger Bushings. Interior & Exterior Red Underglow. $55 in the gas tank (5-8-06)

Old 23 Mar 2005, 08:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Do a search and read up. One of the header makers has some quality problems, and there isn't much gain to be had with either a 4-1 or 4-2-1 - apparently stock isn't too bad. After I read up, I decided it wasn't worth the cost/hassle. [:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Mar 2005, 02:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

I agree with QSD. (heh, rhymes!) I've read some horror stories about Hedman headers, welds cracking, chrome tarnishing, improper fittings, bad customer service. Do a search. It should all still be there.

[8)] Cruise on
Old 27 Mar 2005, 07:59 pm
Young Cruiser

I have a n/a engine. I have done some reading up and hedman was out of the question a long time ago. I was looking more ar JBA, edelbrock, or any other options out there. The big reason that I am up grading is that every little bit of hp helps. I am looking little by little and the next thing in line is the exhaust.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 02:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

I can only say that JBA headers that I have used on other cars have been of the highest quality of any that I have used. The price does reflect this though, you will probably pay more for JBA's, but they are a quality product IMHO.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Mar 2005, 03:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have the Borla 4-1 header and am very happy with it.

The key advice for PT headers (besides Beware of Hedman) is to REINSTALL the HEAT SHIELD.

Without the heat shield you run a real risk of cooking the computer... which is a very expensive Bad Thing.

Make sure the installer has the skills and materials to fabricate new mountings for the heat shield... paying a couple of hours extra labor on the install will save you big bucks later.

Good luck
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 29 Mar 2005, 01:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

I haven't used borla headers on anything but I have used their cat back on 2 mustangs and now my GT. They too build very high quality stuff. I would say either would be a great bet.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 Mar 2005, 03:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Fritz, Are you saying that the factory heat shield will not just fit around the aftermarket headers? The reason that I ask is that I was planning on doing the work myself in my garage. Should I rethink this?