PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Auto Tranny will shift even if in 1st gear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2005, 10:46 am
Young Cruiser

Default Auto Tranny will shift even if in 1st gear?

Hi Ya'll,

I was just checking out another forum, (I know, I know, why bother...lol) and found this item:

"Auto trans shift trick: Gary Howell wrote: Chrysler on the 4 speed autos prior to the PT had a safety that would shift them even locked in low 1 through the gears, but the shift points in low one were around 6300 RPMs. That is a trick the NHRA drag guys in stock classes were doing with the 4 speed autos. I doubt they have eliminated the safety, so it should still work with the PT. I would try it myself, but mine is a 5 speed. The stock rev limiter is at 6500 RPMs, so you should know if it will work before you get to the rev limiter and not hurt anything."

Anyone know anything about this? I'm not brave enough to try it out fer meself! []

When I floor it and keep it there from a stop, I don't even know what speed I'd be going when the tranny shifts into 4th! I always let up before I reach that point. Mine seems to shift right at the 6000 rpm mark. I've seen post saying some peak at around 5500 before it shifts. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I don't race, I don't show off (much), but I love my PT. Most fun car I've ever owned. I love the fact that even at 70mph, you can floor it, and it'll still take off like a bat outta hell! It would wipe the floor with my old 84 Dodge Shelby Charger. Least it feels that way to me now.

Just curious what speeds at the shift points others are hitting. [:I]

Old 06 Apr 2005, 11:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

1st or L is actually 1-2 but will hold in 1st to at or near redline
if you shift to low while slowing, it will do a hard downshift to 1st once your speed is low enough.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 01:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

I find that best resluts are obtained with my 03 GT if I put my 4 speed auto in 1st and floor it and keep it floored. It shifts at or near the redline by itself faster and more consistent than I can. I also turn off my low speed traction device too. With the Auto I get little or no wheel hop and just the right amount of wheel spin from my stock 17" Good Year RSA's which dont have a lot of traction. What I need now is stage 1 HP for quicker and more smokey burn outs. [8)]
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 06 Apr 2005, 07:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

The PT auto trans will shift at 5825rpm regardless of the gear selection.
Leave it in (D), 3, or low and it will always shift at 5825 from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

It will go to the 6250 rev limit in 3rd.

I've tested this on a chassis dyno many times.
Old 07 Apr 2005, 11:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

I dont know how you gt guys dont get wheel spin. When I floor it off the line, i get a ton of it. Ive got michelins of some sort. I cant turn off traction control.
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)