PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sachs Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2005, 05:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Sachs Shocks

Anyone use these on their Cruiser?

Looking for new shocks and came across these? Any comments, thoughts, pros/cons from people that have these?

Thanks.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 05:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Do you have a website?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 05:37 pm
Young Cruiser

http://www.cruiserbits.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=44646
Old 12 Apr 2005, 07:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

I believe thise are "factory" replacements. if you are looking for something more sporty, go with KYB, Tokico's, or H&R.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 05:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Does anyone know if this is the shock my 03 Gt came with and what would be a good replacement shock and strut for me to buy if I decide to keep my stock springs. I am so impressed with my large rear anti-sway bar I no longer want to put on new springs but just update shocks and struts. Yes, I know Koni but I dont have the cash for that! Is anything less than Konis an upgrade??
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 06:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT

Does anyone know if this is the shock my 03 Gt came with and what would be a good replacement shock and strut for me to buy if I decide to keep my stock springs. I am so impressed with my large rear anti-sway bar I no longer want to put on new springs but just update shocks and struts. Yes, I know Koni but I dont have the cash for that! Is anything less than Konis an upgrade??
Tokico makes the OEM shocks for all PT models. Their aftermarket shocks seems to be better built and longer lasting. Many PT owners are using the Tokico aftermarket shocks and are satisfied with their performance over the OEM supplied shocks. There have been reliability problems in the past with Tokico's shocks, mainly a plating problem on the shafts and warranty claims have been turned down frequently. In general, Tokico shocks will usually give you the harshest ride over shocks made by Bilstein, Sachs, Boge, Koni, and KYB.

Nothing wrong with Sach shocks. Although Sach shocks are used as OEM shocks for many cars, their "Advantage" gas shocks are highly rated by enthusiasts. Sachs Super Gas shocks are rated a hair behind Bilstein. Since Bilstein currently doesn't offer an application for the PT, Sach is the next best thing. It should be noted that many aftermarket shocks for the PT are gas filled shocks.

Can look at this page at my website to see what shocks are currently available for the PT and their part numbers:
http://sci-fi.ptenthusiasts.net/photo6.html

IMHO, aftermarket replacement shocks will be a marked improvement over the OEM shocks and longer lasting too. A slightly harsher ride but improved handling and control is the tradeoff.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 04:03 am
Senior Cruiser

First let me thank you for all your work on your website. I have used it a lot to find out what is available and I got my rear bar based largely on what info I got from your site. So thank you!! Second, have you any idea on what strut / shock package would be best for my street ride. Of course I want handling but also dont want a hard ride. I think the stock GT ride is a little harsh already!! I dont know why but I think I have improved the ride with my rear anti-sway bar. Is there a shock less harsh than the Tokicos but with better control than the stock ones. Third do you think that after 40,000 miles the stock units need to be replaced. I am replacing the stock tires at 40,000 miles and will get an alignment so this would be a great time to replace the stock units from a labor stand point.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 12:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It's hard to say when it is time to change the shocks because it just varies by either mileage or is affected by the road and environmental conditions one faces on a daily or seasonal basis. A car owner has to check/inspect their shocks every now and then and decide when it's time to change them or just wants to change/upgrade the OEM shocks for better control/handling/ride characteristics.

Monroe Sensatrac (soon to be replaced by Monroe Reflex)and Gabriel Ultra Shock are both a twin tube, low pressure gas design (soft/medium valving) that is good for a daily driver and an upgrade to the OEM shocks. Replacement under warranty may be easier with these shocks since they are available nationally at most outlets.

The other gas shocks listed (KYB, Sach, Tokico, etc) are a mixture of twin tube (usually the front struts) and monotube (rear shocks), high pressure gas designs. Initially, your ride will be a bit more bouncy, but after a break-in period, the shocks will settle down and you should have a good ride and control. These shocks are better for more spirited driving and/or if your daily drive includes a lot of curves and tight turns (control is more important then ride qualities under those conditions...i.e. live in the mountains/hills).

Pricewise, with the exception of Koni, all the shocks/struts are priced about the same, so it becomes a personal decision which brand best meets your needs. The monotube design is more expensive to manufacture and the more modern design, so it is a bit surprising that the price would be so close to the twin tube designs. Longevity may vary by make too and like the OEM shocks, the road and environmental conditions will affect shock life, so YMMV.

Hope this helps and thanks for the complement.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 02:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Your welcome and it did help.