PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

BEST engine oil to use for PT Cruiser 2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2005, 02:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default BEST engine oil to use for PT Cruiser 2001

I am a recent new owner of a 2001 PT Cruiser, which is now ready for its first oil change under my ownership. I was wondering what engine oils to stay away from and which are the better ones to go with as well as oil filters for same. Any advice from the group would be most appreciated!
Old 03 May 2005, 02:30 pm
Young Cruiser

I use Mobile 1 oil and filters for all my vehicles. I have found that Wal-mart of all places has the best price on the oil. (usually under $20.00 for a 5 quart bottle.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 03 May 2005, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ATLPTGT

I use Mobile 1 oil and filters for all my vehicles. I have found that Wal-mart of all places has the best price on the oil. (usually under $20.00 for a 5 quart bottle.
Agree 100%. I use K&N oil filters - either they or the Mobil1 filters are the best out there. Advance Auto carries K&N filters, I haven't found the Mobil1 filters - DO NOT USE Fram - they used to be good, they are now crap, running down the name.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 May 2005, 05:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Let me say I use Mobil 1 in my GT with either K&N or Mobil 1 filters. BUT, if you drive normally at normal temperatures and not a lot of stop and go driving any premium grade of dino oil will work if changed every 3,000 miles.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 03 May 2005, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So synthetic oil is better overall? I've read in the past that sometimes it makes things worse because its not compatible with the rubber seals in the engine, and degrades them. But if this is the best way to go, I have to trust you guys.
Old 03 May 2005, 08:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

What you hear is about 20 years old and not true today....The bottom line is this...Use any name brand oil and a name brand filter...including fram and change every 3,000 miles and you will be fine...I use Mobile 1...and still change every 3,000 miles....but that is me...and dino name brand will do fine....the key is to change it at 3,000 miles with a new filter.....
Old 03 May 2005, 10:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tvldeals

So synthetic oil is better overall? I've read in the past that sometimes it makes things worse because its not compatible with the rubber seals in the engine, and degrades them. But if this is the best way to go, I have to trust you guys.
The only time synth is not compatible with rubber seals is in engines that are just totally sludged up from lack of maintenance and seals are degraded and the only thing keeping them from leaking is the sludge itself. Like a car that has 70,000 miles on it and never has an oil change. Put the nice fresh synth in and it will clean up all the gunk and old seals may leak. If you have maintained your car you should not have a problem.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 03 May 2005, 10:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

I changed to Mobil1 at 300 miles and plan to keep it a long long time(the car, not the same oil!) Should be fine for a used engine as well.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

The only time synth is not compatible with rubber seals is in engines that are just totally sludged up from lack of maintenance and seals are degraded and the only thing keeping them from leaking is the sludge itself. Like a car that has 70,000 miles on it and never has an oil change. Put the nice fresh synth in and it will clean up all the gunk and old seals may leak. If you have maintained your car you should not have a problem.
[/quote]
Agree 100%.
I have to tell my synthetic oil story. I had a '92 Dodge Spirit 4-cyl. that I got new. I always used synthetic oil in it. At about 150,000 miles, a valve guide worked loose. The mechanic had the head on his workbench and inside was all bright and shiny - I asked what he'd used to clean it up so well, and he said, "Nothing - that's how it came off the car" ! ! !
The engine was still strong in that car at 195,000 miles, when the transmission decided to stop shifting.
Old 04 May 2005, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thats great to know! Synthetic it is then! ;0)