Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question on spark plug gapping...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2005, 08:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Question on spark plug gapping...

I know, I know.. this has been gone over before... I just want to be sure I've got it right.

Just picked up some Champion Double Platinums as my local Advanced Auto ($4.48 each).

I've order a Screamin' Demon coil and live wires.

What would the correct gap be for the plugs with this new set up?

Do I also need to disconnect the negative battery terminal when I'm done doing the tune-up to "reset" the computer?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06 May 2005, 08:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

I recently had my Chrysler dealer install the Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires which I Purchased from Moss Motors. The instructions say to gap the sparkplugs at 0.65, which my dealer did. I didn't replace the original sparkplugs since I have about 19,000 miles. I also had the Stage 1 engine kit installed then so I don't know how much of the performance improvement is due to the coil and wires.

I don't get any sputtering or hesitation with the gap at 0.65 so I'd recommend sticking to Screamin' Demon's instructions. I'd also disconnect the battery terminal to reset your engine computer.

I'd like to hear how your installation went. I hope you like the results.
[IMG]|2003 PT GT 5-Speed | Mopar Stage 1 | Mopar 2.5\" Dual Exhaust | Mopar Short-Throw Shifter | Mopar HO Plastic Intake | Mopar Boost Gauge | AGP WGA/BOP | APC Carbon Fiber Taillights | Axis 19x8 Wheels/Yokohama 225/35ZR19 Parada Spec2 Tires | BTG Strut Tower Brace | BTG Billet Shorty Antenna | Eibach Anti-Sway Bars | HKS SSQV BOV | JLM Motor/Tranny Mounts | KW Variant 1 Coilovers | Maxxfab 3\" Downpipe | NGK Iridiums | Prototypepower UCP/CAI v5 | PTeazer Smoothie Roll Pan | Screamin\' Demon Coil/Livewires | StopTech Slotted Rotors/Hawk HPS Pads/Stainless Steel Lines | Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley|
Old 06 May 2005, 09:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Do a search here and at other PT forums. The 0.065 gap for the Demon coil, while it will work, is wildly optimistic and besides, the Demon coil doesn't put that much more volts out than a stock coil (36,000 volts - OEM coil vs 40,000 volts for the Demon). Set the spark plug gaps to 0.040-0.045 and you will be more happy. Disconnecting the battery to reset the computer is pretty much standard procedure with any mod or before going on a trip. But try it both ways. If you don't disconnect the battery, all the previous "learned" settings will be there and you can compare if there is any improvement over the previous setup. Then disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then see how it drives. It should drive like new or better since everything will be back at baseline settings.
Old 07 May 2005, 07:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You are better of with the stock coil...If you can send it back do it...also the MSD coil is not much better then the stock coil also.